Blasts at Chennai Central Railway Station Kills 1 Woman, 14 Injured
By sangeetha seshagiri | May 1, 2014 2:39 PM EST
A woman was killed and 14 others injured in two low intensity bomb blasts that happened on the Bangalore-Guwahati Express as it arrived Chennai central railway station on Thursday morning.
Train explosion (representational image) (Reuters)
The blasts happened in the S4 and S5 coaches of the Bangalore-Guwahati Express of the train. The victim identified as Swathi (22) was reportedly sitting on the seat under which the bomb was placed. She was travelling to Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, reported the New Indian Express
Chennai: Visuals of the Bangalore-Guwahati Express train in which the blast took place pic.twitter.com/k1miewocgG— ANI (@ANI_news) May 1, 2014
The incident took place when the train was approaching platform no 9 at the Chennai central station around 7.15 am. Police and the NSG team have rushed to the spot. "There were two separate blasts in the train. The entire police force is involved in the investigation," Southern Railways General Manager Rakesh Mishra told IBN Live.
The platform was cordoned off and security officials carried out searches inside the train to find if there were any more explosives. One suspect found hiding inside the train has been detained by the police.
"It is not a major blast. It is suspected that Chennai could not have been target of those who were behind the blast because the train was running late. Some other location could have been the target," Tamil Nadu DGP K Ramanujam was quoted as saying by the Times of India.
The injured were taken to the Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital and they are said to be in stable condition. They have been identified as Suman 37, Saifulla 27, Anjaneyalu 27, Sareen Varma 28, Murali 27, Vizin kumar 14, Vimal Kumar Das 37, Shogun Kumar 23, Hari 21, Uma 30, Shodan Kumar 35, Altaf 17, Jithendar 51 and Sadan Devnath, reported TOI.
Train services have been suspended until further notice, according to TV reports. The railways has granted ₹1 lakh compensation to the family of the victim, ₹25,000 for the grievously injured and ₹5,000 for those with minor injuries.
Chennai : 044-25357398
Bangalore helpline numbers: 08022356409, 08022156553
Railway control number: 08022876288
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display