2014 Meteor Shower: Eta Aquarids Set to Peak on May 5, What Time to Best View
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 1, 2014 2:39 PM EST
Another meteor shower display is set to grace the night skies following the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower last April. The 2014 Eta Aquarids meteor shower that comes out of the Aquarius constellation is already visible but the peak display is set to take play on Monday night, May 5.
The annual meteor display that kicked off visibility in April is expected to last through Monday, May 12, with up to 10 meteors per hour most likely observed. The southern hemisphere can have a better view of the Eta Aquarids meteor shower display with up to 30 meteors per hour visible.
However, the cbslocal.com report claims there could be multiple meteor showers occurring simultaneously. "If you see a falling star, trace it back to the constellation Aquarius to see if it was from the Eta Aquarids or another meteor shower. If it didn't appear to come from Aquarius, it's a different shower," the report noted.
Eta Aquarid, one of the two annual meteor showers originating from Comet Halley, got its name from the "most radiant point" in the constellation Aquarius which is a bright star called Eta Aquarii. For the second time, the Earth will pass through Comet Halley's path around the Sun in October which results to the Orionid meteor shower display that peaks approximately on October 20.
In the Time and Date report, the time to best view the 2014 Eta Aquarid meteor shower display is early in the morning right before dawn. The report further added that the meteor shower peak is expected to continue on May 6 with the waxing crescent Moon creating the ideal conditions for observing the celestial sky display.
The Meteor Shower Calendar of the American Meteor Society states that southern tropics will have more visibility on the Eta Aquarids. For those located from the equator northward, the Eta Aquarids normally last with the rate of 10 to 30 showers per hour just before the crack of dawn.
"Activity is good for a week centered the night of maximum activity. These are swift meteors that produce a high percentage of persistent trains, but few fireballs," the description on the American Meteor Society calendar reads.
To have a best view of the 2014 Eta Aquarids meteor shower, sky watchers are suggest to travel outside of the city so that the bright lights will not get in the way of the shower lights. The upcoming meteor shower can be observed with just the naked eye.
More Articles to Read:
2014 Lyrids Meteor Shower: How and Where to Best View Peak on April 22 - [READ]
Viral Video: Teenager Jared Michael Takes Selfie Near Train Track, Got Kicked in the Head by Conductor - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers