2014 Meteor Shower: Eta Aquarids Set to Peak on May 5, What Time to Best View
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 1, 2014 2:39 PM EST
Another meteor shower display is set to grace the night skies following the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower last April. The 2014 Eta Aquarids meteor shower that comes out of the Aquarius constellation is already visible but the peak display is set to take play on Monday night, May 5.
The annual meteor display that kicked off visibility in April is expected to last through Monday, May 12, with up to 10 meteors per hour most likely observed. The southern hemisphere can have a better view of the Eta Aquarids meteor shower display with up to 30 meteors per hour visible.
However, the cbslocal.com report claims there could be multiple meteor showers occurring simultaneously. "If you see a falling star, trace it back to the constellation Aquarius to see if it was from the Eta Aquarids or another meteor shower. If it didn't appear to come from Aquarius, it's a different shower," the report noted.
Eta Aquarid, one of the two annual meteor showers originating from Comet Halley, got its name from the "most radiant point" in the constellation Aquarius which is a bright star called Eta Aquarii. For the second time, the Earth will pass through Comet Halley's path around the Sun in October which results to the Orionid meteor shower display that peaks approximately on October 20.
In the Time and Date report, the time to best view the 2014 Eta Aquarid meteor shower display is early in the morning right before dawn. The report further added that the meteor shower peak is expected to continue on May 6 with the waxing crescent Moon creating the ideal conditions for observing the celestial sky display.
The Meteor Shower Calendar of the American Meteor Society states that southern tropics will have more visibility on the Eta Aquarids. For those located from the equator northward, the Eta Aquarids normally last with the rate of 10 to 30 showers per hour just before the crack of dawn.
"Activity is good for a week centered the night of maximum activity. These are swift meteors that produce a high percentage of persistent trains, but few fireballs," the description on the American Meteor Society calendar reads.
To have a best view of the 2014 Eta Aquarids meteor shower, sky watchers are suggest to travel outside of the city so that the bright lights will not get in the way of the shower lights. The upcoming meteor shower can be observed with just the naked eye.
More Articles to Read:
2014 Lyrids Meteor Shower: How and Where to Best View Peak on April 22 - [READ]
Viral Video: Teenager Jared Michael Takes Selfie Near Train Track, Got Kicked in the Head by Conductor - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports