Champions League Update: Atlético Madrid Shuts Chelsea to Reach Final
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 1, 2014 1:58 PM EST
The dream to reach final for Chelsea was shut-down by the Spanish visitors Atlético Madrid as they toppled the local favorite by 3-1. Atlético Madrid will now face Real Madrid in Lisbon on May 24.
Atletico Madrid's Arda Turan (C) celebrates next to coach Diego Simeone (L) after their Champions League semi-final second leg soccer match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge stadium in London April 30, 2014.
The defensive tactics of Jose Mourinho came up well in earlier matches despite several criticisms. But this time, the entire defence crumbled in front of the superlative performance of Atlético Madrid.
Chelsea made a good start at the beginning, but as the match progresseD, Atlético Madrid took hold of the situation and returned splendidly with brilliant attacks.
Chelsea took the first lead in 36 minutes when Fernando Torres got a golden opportunity to rest the ball in the net.
Atlético Madrid did not take much time to equalise at 44 minutes when Tiago crossed the ball from the left flank, reaching Juanfran who tackled the ball to go outside the line at the back post and passed it to Adrián to do what was needed.
The worst event that literally took the match away from Chelsea's hand was in the second half when the Cameroon man Eto'o tried to tackle Diego Costa inside the box, leading to a penalty. Costa placed a fine shot to beat the Australian goalkeeper, putting the team in the lead by 2-1.
Chelsea has got some good chance in the middle for an equaliser, but could not turn it into a goal.
The last goal came at 72 minutes when Arda Turan placed the third goal to seal the fate of Chelsea in Champions League.
Chelsea was in a defensive mode, which proved worthy at the initial stage. But the penalty for a wrong tactic proved dearly to the home team. The visitor took the right opportunity to side-line Chelsea from the league. The goals scored by Atlético Madrid were definitely stoppable, but somewhere, Chelsea lacked the fine balance to save the team from losing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff