New Zealand Church Pastor Condemned for Promoting Gay-to-Straight Therapy
By Reissa Su | May 1, 2014 1:34 PM EST
A church pastor in New Zealand has been condemned for his controversial comments about gays. Bill Anderson, who lives in the small town of Paihia, said, "gays are going to hell, and they can only avoid eternal damnation by healed of their homosexuality."
A gay rights activist holds a rainbow flag during a protest against a verdict by the Supreme Court in New Delhi December 15, 2013. REUTERS/Adnan Abidi
According to 3News, the pastor is promoting the healing of homosexuals with his gay-to-straight conversion therapy. Mr Anderson said he wasn't a homosexual and does not know any gays. The pastor claimed that homosexuality and lesbianism "is not normal."
When asked if someone could become a gay Christian, Mr Anderson replied with a resounding "No!" and proceeded to argue that homosexuals were "riddled with diseases." He said gays should be "dealt with." Mr Anderson said he doesn't know why other churches accept gays.
Trevor Easton, leader of LGBT support group outline denounced Mr Anderson's promotion of gay-to-straight conversion therapy. He said people like Mr Anderson "fear people they don't understand." Mr Easton was incredulous when he saw the pastor's interview. He said a person cannot be converted to be gay or straight.
In February, a leading American psychologist has criticised the UK media for bashing mental health professionals who offer "conversion therapy" to gay people. Dr Phillip Sutton, director of the International Federation for Therapeutic Choice, has published an academic paper with detailing how the media works to prevent mental health professionals from providing counselling, education guidance and therapy for "unwanted same-sex attraction and behaviour."
LGBTQ Psychotherapist Association Gaylesta said treating something that is not a "disorder" is not therapy but homophobia. The group said gay conversion therapy is a threat to the LGBT community.
People who have undergone the so-called treatment have a bigger chance of becoming suicidal and self-destructive.
Gays accepted in NZ army
Despite the church pastor's promotion of gay conversion, New Zealand's army does not shun gays and accepts them the way they are. New Zealand has topped the LGBT Military Index for its inclusion of lesbians, homosexuals, transgender and bisexual soldiers in the army as neighbouring country Australia ranked fifth overall.
The Centre for Strategies Studies based in Hague measured the LGBT Military Index based on admittance, tolerance, persecution or exclusion of gays and lesbians in 103 armies in countries worldwide. New Zealand's army emerged the most tolerant in its inclusion of homosexuals with the UK and Netherlands both in second place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]