NBA News: Lakers Fans Rejoice as Mike D’Antoni Resigns as Los Angeles Head Coach
By James Patrick Quizon | May 1, 2014 12:40 PM EST
Reports are trickling in that Mike D’Antoni have resigned as head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers and Lakers Nation is rejoicing with the decision.
Los Angeles Lakers head coach Mike D'Antoni reacts during the second half of their NBA basketball game against the Dallas Mavericks in Dallas
Mike D'Antoni has resigned as Lakers coach, source tells ESPN
— Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) May 1, 2014
There's a reason books were written about D'Antoni and his offense in Phoenix. He's still that guy, it just didn't work in LA or NY — Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) May 1, 2014
Mike Trudell, a popular Lakers insider also confirmed the report:
D’Antoni met with Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss at the team’s facility, where the conversation resulting in D’Antoni resigning took place.
— Mike Trudell (@LakersReporter) May 1, 2014
The Lakers declined to pick up the option year (2015-16) on Mike D’Antoni’s contract, as D’Antoni and his agent had requested. — Mike Trudell (@LakersReporter) May 1, 2014
Reactions are varied but mostly tilt towards celebrating the move as most Lakers and NBA fans have criticized D’Antoni as a one-dimensional coach; all offense and no knowledge of defense. As expected, fans took to Twitter for their feelings about the news:
Bruh when I founded out Mike D'Antoni was gone from the Lakers, my phone literally fell out my lap. I was jumping up and down lmaooo — Ace Be Chillin™ (@KingSmooth_24) May 1, 2014
NO MORE D'ANTONI.. THERE IS A GOD! 🙌😩 — Beaner McCoy (@Oh_WonderBread) May 1, 2014
Mike D’Antoni just announced resignation as head coach, allowing Lakers to say they actually got a win during this year’s playoffs. — The Fake ESPN (@TheFakeESPN) May 1, 2014
The controversial Skip Bayless took a swipe at D’Antoni too:
There is hope in Lakerland: D'Antoni is gone. — Skip Bayless (@RealSkipBayless) May 1, 2014
The Lakers released an official statement to address the resignation. As well as Lakers great Magic Johnson.
Happy days are here again! Mike D'Antoni resigns as the Lakers coach. I couldn't be happier! — Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) May 1, 2014
“Given the circumstances, I don’t know that anybody could have done a better job than Mike did the past two seasons. On behalf of the Lakers, we thank Mike for the work ethic, professionalism & positive attitude that he brought to the team every day. We wish him the best of luck,” said general manager Mitch Kupchak.
The Lakers went 27-55 in the 2013-2014 regular season the first time they did not qualify for the NBA Playoffs since 2005. The 32.9 per cent winning percentage is also the worst for the franchise in its time in Los Angeles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- DeMarcus Cousins, Omar Casspi Lift Undermanned Sacramento Kings Over New Orleans Pelicans, 99-89
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast