UFC President Dana White Calls Floyd Mayweather Racist for Twitter Comment on Jeremy Lin
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 1, 2014 8:54 AM EST
Racism isn't always whites discriminating against blacks as what happened when LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling told his Hispanic girlfriend not to not to bring blacks to watch the games of his team.
It could also be in the form of a black speaking against another race as what UFC President Dana White is accusing WBC welterweight champion and unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr of. White claimed on Tuesday that Money May made racist remarks against New York Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin, an Asian.
He cited the Feb 13 tweet of the boxer that "Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise."
Lin lead his team to seven wins in his first seven starts by averaging 14.6 points and 5.7 assists in 19 games with New York after the team was cut by the Golden State in the preseason.
White countered, asking Mayweather if Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan never got any praise. He said, "The list goes on and on of guys who completely get praised for being great NBA basketball players. Not only can [Lin] compete and make it to the NBA, the guy is tearing it up and it breaking records, you knucklehead."
Mayweather replied, quoted by ESPN, "I'm speaking my mind on behalf of other NBA players. They are programmed to be politically correct and will be penalized if they speak up ... Other countries get to support their athletes and everything is fine. As soon as I support Black American athletes, I get criticized."
Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's adviser, told White to stop talking or else threatened to disclose to UFC players how they are allegedly being shortchanged on the pay-per-view revenues by White.
White likewise cited Mayweather saying that WBO welterweight title holder Manny Pacquiao should make some sushi, pointing out "Sushi is from Japan. He's from the Philippines, dummy."
Reports also came out on Tuesday that Money May is interested in buying the LA Clippers, even as Sterling has said the team is not for sale. Mediatakeover.com said the Money Team is holding off official negotiations on buying LA Clippers because he is preoccupied with his May 3 fight against Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana.
Commenting on Mayweather's interest in owning the Clippers, The Guardian wrote, "Buying the Clippers would be a good fit with Mayweather's lifestyle. He has three fights of a six-fight contract with Showtime left after Maidana and the overall deal could double his considerable wealth," which it estimated at over $400 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display