New South Wales Sells Newcastle Port, World’s Biggest Coal Export Terminal, for $1.62B; Padbury’s $6.5B Funding Deal for Iron Ore Port Collapses
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 1, 2014 8:46 AM EST
The New South Wales government announced on Wednesday the sale of the Newcastle Port, the world's biggest coal export terminal, for $1.62 billion to joint venture partners Hastings Fund Management and China Merchants.
NSW Premier Andrew Baird and Treasurer Andrew Constance said the privatisation of the port under a 98-year lease would make Newcastle "the jewel of the Asia Pacific" since the gross proceed of the sale would be used to revitalise the city's commercial business district, including the construction of a new light rail project.
Previous privatisation such as the sale of Port Kembia, Port Botany, power generators and desalination plant had raised $120 million for the revatalisation of the city.
Baird said the city was surprised by the final result of the transaction since their initial estimated was that the sale proceed would be only about $700 million, not $1.2 billion, after the transaction cost and debt are repaid. The amount would go into the Restart NSW infrastructure fund which would give the city a potential $2 billion war chest before the 2015 election.
The port handles about 40 per cent of Australia's coal export.
Meanwhile, on the same day, Australian mining company Padbury's said that its previously announced $6.5-billion funding deal for a new iron port and rail development collapsed.
Padbury said in the earlier part of April that it secured mega funding from unnamed Australian equity investors, which caused its share prices to zoom, prompting regulators to halt trading of Padbury shares until the miner provided more information.
Padbury eventually revealed that the funder would be Alliance Super Holdings and Superkite which are controlled by former hair clinic operator Roland Bleyer.
The company said it would continue to seek all available opportunities to exploit its existing intellectual property in relation to the Oakajee project.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display