Android 4.4.2 Update Xperia Z Guide: When to Hit Your Region and More
By Precious Silva | April 30, 2014 11:14 PM EST
Sony Xperia Z users have been wondering when the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update roll out will happen. Previously, the Japan-based phone maker announced that it will finish the Android 4.4.2 roll out to Sony Xperia Z and other models during the first quarter of the year. However, this has not materialized. According to recent reports, the roll out of the latest update may happen soon especially following leaks from XDA Developers member DooMLoRD.
Intel CEO Brian Krzanich speaks about a dual Windows and Android operating system during his keynote address during the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada January 6, 2014. REUTERS/Robert Galbraith
DooMLoRD posted in the XDA Developers Forum thread the leaked firmware build for the Android 4.4.2 Sony Xperia update. The build went by 10.5.A.0.227. The screenshots showed similarities of the build to the original KitKat update released for the Xperia Z1 series.
Some of the standard KitKat features that will come with the update include: new Notification/Quick settings drop-down, immersive mode, transparent status and navigation bars, new Location Menu, color emoji support, cloud printing, and native apps from Sony. DooMLoRD also suggested that the update will provide Sony Xperia Z with a double-tap-to-wake feature. The update may come around May or at the latest June according to predictions.
Users can check if the update is already available by opening Settings > About phone > System update > Check now.
The Sony Xperia Z comes with the following specs:
- Dimensions: 139 x 71 x 7.9 mm (5.47 x 2.80 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 146 g (5.15 oz)
- TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)
- Shatter proof and scratch-resistant glass
- Sony Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2
- Android OS, v4.1.2 (Jelly Bean), v4.3 (Jelly Bean)
- Qualcomm MDM9215M / APQ8064
- Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait
- Adreno 320
Google will also reportedly release an Android 4.4.3 update. The tech giant has not released any official announcements about it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance