Digvijay Singh Admits to His Relationship with Amrita Rai; Twitter Explodes with Jokes, Memes
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 30, 2014 10:36 PM EST
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh has admitted to being in a relationship with a woman called Amrita Rai, who is a TV journalist, according to various news sources. He made the announcement in a tweet:
Digvijaya Singh admits to his relationship with Amrita Rai #*# Twitter explodes with jokes, and memes; Here are top 7 funny tweets. (Image: Twitter Screen Shot)
I have no hesitation in accepting my relationship with Amrita Rai. She and her husband have already filed a mutual consent divorce case.
— digvijaya singh (@digvijaya_28) April 30, 2014
He has also tweeted that once Amrita Rai's divorce is finalized, they would formally get married. "But I do condemn encroachment in our private life," he added.
Once that is decided we would formalise it. But I do condemn encroachment in our private life. — digvijaya singh (@digvijaya_28) April 30, 2014
Digvijaya Singh, who lost his wife a year ago, had recently tweeted that he may be thinking about marrying again. He had said: "I am a widower and if I remarry I won't hide like your Dear Feku!"
Amrita has also tweeted that she and her husband were getting divorced and that she had decided to marry Digvijay Singh.
My email/computer been hacked & contents tampered with. It is a serious crime in India & encroachment of my privacy. I strongly condemn it
— amrita rai (@amrritarai) April 30, 2014
I have separated from my husband and we have filed a mutual consent divorce papers. After which I have decided to marry with Digvijaya Singh — amrita rai (@amrritarai) April 30, 2014
Soon after Singh made the announcement, Twitter exploded with a surge of funny comments. Some have gone to the extent of claiming they have now understood what Rahul Gandhi had meant when he talked about "woman empowerment". Others have made a parody out of Congress' slogan 'Yuva Josh'.
The tweet has been retweeted more than 1100 time at the time of writing this article while the hastag #DigVijaySingh has dominated the trend ever since.
Here are some of the funniest comments on Twitter regarding the news:
That awkward moment when you realize that even Diggy had a Girlfriend, but you didn't !!! #DigvijaySingh
— Whiskeypedia !!! (@Jayant_Motwani_) April 30, 2014
So http://t.co/exLViLVfNw must hires digvijay singh as it's brand ambassador! #DigVijaySingh — AngryBhopali (@helloniks) April 30, 2014
actually #digvijaysingh is motivation for old age ppl....that u can also have 2nd inning
— (@Pelpendicular) April 30, 2014
#DigvijaySingh has Girl friend & Amrita Rai has Uncle friend. #diggy — India Right Now (@indiarightnow) April 30, 2014
— Rohini Mithra (@RohiniMithra) April 30, 2014
Kattar Soch nahi ... Yuva Josh #DigVijaySingh This is known as our Woman Empowerment !!! pic.twitter.com/89yxFBu4gU — Vote for India (@RahulDumbGandhi) April 30, 2014
Digvijay : Where have you been all my life? Amrita : Well I wasn't born for half of it! #DigvijaySingh
— Divya (@tweetgasmic) April 30, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown