Install CyanogenMod 11 Android v4.4.2 KitKat Custom ROM for Sony Xperia SP Models [Tutorial]
By Rohit KVN | April 30, 2014 9:55 PM EST
A man checks a map as he walks past an advertising of the new Sony Xperia Z at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona last week. (Credit: Reuters)
The custom ROM expected to bring in tons of stock Android v4.4.2 KitKat features in Sony Xperia SP such as smarter caller ID, more organized message grouping via Hangouts, immersive display mode, quick access to settings, colourful Emoji characters on keyboard, Quickoffice word document app, Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Profile), Wireless printing (only select HP printers) and more.
Pre-requisite (things to remember before the installation of custom ROM in the smartphone):
- Though custom ROM gives unrestricted powers (options) to the device, once installed, smartphone company's warranty stands void and will no longer be liable for future updates [warranty can be restored simply by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- This CM11 Custom ROM can to be installed on Sony Xperia SP models- C5302 / C5303 only.
- Rooting of devices leads to complete data wipe out, so make sure to back all your personal data.
- Users' phone must be rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery ( or TWRP and Google Apps tools)
- Remember to wipe Dalvik Cache before proceeding to ClockworkMod recovery mode.
- Since the firmware is custom ROM, Sony PC Companion will not detect the phone after the installation.
- Users make sure that you have installed USB drivers on the PC to connect your Sony Xperia SP (users can download, here)
- Make sure your smartphone has more than 80-percent battery.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting of Android devices. If the step-by-step custom ROM installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or may even lead to the device being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if smartphones get bricked. Hence users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Android v4.4.2 KitKat CyanogenMod 11 Custom ROM Installation Tutorial for Sony Xperia SP models(C5302 / C5303 ):
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia SP to your PC via USB chord.
Step 3: Then, place .zip files of Android v4.4.2 ROM and Google Apps into the phone's SD card memory. [User are advised to paste the .zip files in SD card root, not in any other folder]
Step 4: Turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery mode sortie, by press holding 'volume (up)', 'home' and 'power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering ClockMod Recovery mode, perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or other errors]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.2 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process and once perform same sortie to install .zip file of Gapps (Google Apps) [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once the installation is completed, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-boot the device opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia SP) would take minimum five minutes to complete booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of custom Android 4.4.2 crDroid Custom ROM.
[Credit: Team Android]
To contact the editor, e-mail: