'I Now Play with Vengeance,' says Ace Shuttler Jwala Gutta
By Shruthi SU | April 30, 2014 9:31 PM EST
Jwala went through many legal proceedings to overrule the lifetime ban planned by the disciplinary committee of the governing body after the ace shuttler delayed the match playing for the Krrish Delhi Smashers against the Banga Beats in the Indian Badminton League more than six months ago.
"This medal is sort of revenge for me," after winning the bronze Asian Badminton Championships recently partnered by Ashwini Ponnappa. "I am now playing with vengeance. There is a lot of hurt and pain. If I would not have had to go through the trauma of what happened six months back, I would have enjoyed this medal win with more calmness."
"What happened to me was completely unnecessary. Why should a sportsperson go through it? I didn't demand money for my achievement, I demanded respect and acknowledgement. But there has been nothing. Why is doubles discriminated?" Jwala questioned. "Frankly, I don't understand why I have to prove myself again and again.
"I have achieved enough and I am proud of my achievements. I won medals at Commonwealth Games, World Championship, I represented India in Olympics. Even the bronze at ABC is a first for Indian badminton. There is still no one in the team to replace me and Ashwini."
"We have achieved all that without support. But even today we have to struggle for sponsorship."
The 14-time national champion has had an eventful decade at the sports now and has brought many laurels to the nation including a Commonwealth Games gold, a bronze at 2011 World Championship and qualifying for London Olympics. The 30-year-old Hyderabadi is now aiming a medal in the 2016 Rio Olympics so as to finish the career on a high.
"Qualifying for the London Olympics in two events was a very big achievement for me," Jwala added. "Now, I want to try and win a Olympic medal, I will give my last shot. I don't want to have any regrets. I want to end my career with an Olympic medal."
Image credit: Twitter/@Guttajwala
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People