Champions League 2014 to be Held in the UAE?
By Shruthi SU | April 30, 2014 9:05 PM EST
Shifting IPL 7 to the UAE has been a decent success for the BCCI, and the interim chief, Sunil Gavaskar looks keen on taking the Champions League 2014 to the land of desert.
"Bringing the Champions League T20 here is at the back of our minds," Gavaskar told TOI in Dubai. "We'll start discussing it soon after the IPL is over. We have to take into account that Champions League is played in September-October when there are rains in some parts of India. So we have to ensure it doesn't clash with the start of the Indian season."
UAE, once an obvious host to India-Pakistan bilateral series, could be considered as a venue to resume play between the countries. Gavaskar, though hinted at the possibility, didn't assure anything as he is only an acting chief, in the absence of N Srinivasan, concerned solely with the IPL as ordered by the Supreme Court.
"I'm certain the success of IPL here will make BCCI look at it (Indo-Pak cricket) in a different way than in the past," Gavaskar said. "I think there is a move afoot to have a series against Pakistan, but I don't have any details."
With so much off-field drama, the BCCI was burdened to keep IPL 7 free from any taint. And according to Gavaskar, UAE has only helped the tournament in the right direction.
"You have a tournament like this with no controversy happening," Gavaskar added. "Surely UAE's name will be free of the taint it has had in the past. UAE is trying to promote sport, not just cricket. The authorities here are well aware of the fact that everything should be absolutely clean."
UAE was given complete thumbs up by all officials, but it is assured that the IPL will remain in India and retain its essence of being a 'domestic tournament'.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions