Champions League 2014 to be Held in the UAE?
By Shruthi SU | April 30, 2014 9:05 PM EST
Shifting IPL 7 to the UAE has been a decent success for the BCCI, and the interim chief, Sunil Gavaskar looks keen on taking the Champions League 2014 to the land of desert.
"Bringing the Champions League T20 here is at the back of our minds," Gavaskar told TOI in Dubai. "We'll start discussing it soon after the IPL is over. We have to take into account that Champions League is played in September-October when there are rains in some parts of India. So we have to ensure it doesn't clash with the start of the Indian season."
UAE, once an obvious host to India-Pakistan bilateral series, could be considered as a venue to resume play between the countries. Gavaskar, though hinted at the possibility, didn't assure anything as he is only an acting chief, in the absence of N Srinivasan, concerned solely with the IPL as ordered by the Supreme Court.
"I'm certain the success of IPL here will make BCCI look at it (Indo-Pak cricket) in a different way than in the past," Gavaskar said. "I think there is a move afoot to have a series against Pakistan, but I don't have any details."
With so much off-field drama, the BCCI was burdened to keep IPL 7 free from any taint. And according to Gavaskar, UAE has only helped the tournament in the right direction.
"You have a tournament like this with no controversy happening," Gavaskar added. "Surely UAE's name will be free of the taint it has had in the past. UAE is trying to promote sport, not just cricket. The authorities here are well aware of the fact that everything should be absolutely clean."
UAE was given complete thumbs up by all officials, but it is assured that the IPL will remain in India and retain its essence of being a 'domestic tournament'.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change