Champions League 2014 to be Held in the UAE?
By Shruthi SU | April 30, 2014 9:05 PM EST
Shifting IPL 7 to the UAE has been a decent success for the BCCI, and the interim chief, Sunil Gavaskar looks keen on taking the Champions League 2014 to the land of desert.
"Bringing the Champions League T20 here is at the back of our minds," Gavaskar told TOI in Dubai. "We'll start discussing it soon after the IPL is over. We have to take into account that Champions League is played in September-October when there are rains in some parts of India. So we have to ensure it doesn't clash with the start of the Indian season."
UAE, once an obvious host to India-Pakistan bilateral series, could be considered as a venue to resume play between the countries. Gavaskar, though hinted at the possibility, didn't assure anything as he is only an acting chief, in the absence of N Srinivasan, concerned solely with the IPL as ordered by the Supreme Court.
"I'm certain the success of IPL here will make BCCI look at it (Indo-Pak cricket) in a different way than in the past," Gavaskar said. "I think there is a move afoot to have a series against Pakistan, but I don't have any details."
With so much off-field drama, the BCCI was burdened to keep IPL 7 free from any taint. And according to Gavaskar, UAE has only helped the tournament in the right direction.
"You have a tournament like this with no controversy happening," Gavaskar added. "Surely UAE's name will be free of the taint it has had in the past. UAE is trying to promote sport, not just cricket. The authorities here are well aware of the fact that everything should be absolutely clean."
UAE was given complete thumbs up by all officials, but it is assured that the IPL will remain in India and retain its essence of being a 'domestic tournament'.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People