'Fargo' Based on a True Story?
By Anshu Shrivastava | April 30, 2014 8:24 PM EST
FX Network's "Fargo" is currently one of the most talked about T.V. shows. It is based on Coen brothers' movie of the same name. Like the movie, the show also claims to be based on a true story.
At the beginning of each episode, these lines appear as disclaimer: "THIS IS A TRUE STORY. The events depicted took place in Minnesota in 2006. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of the respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred." The film also begins with a similar disclaimer. The only difference is the year. In "Fargo" movie, which released in March 1996, the event took place in the year 1987.
Alice Vincent of The Telegraph reveals in her article, "The truth behind Fargo's 'true story'," that the film was not based on a true story. It was just fiction, though the myth of it being based on real events pervaded. At the time, critics did not have Google to dig-out information and call Coen brothers' bluff.
During the promotion of the movie, Coen brothers' stuck to the claim that "Fargo" is inspired by real events in Minnesota. In an interview, Joel is quoted saying, "we wanted to try something based on a real story, and tell it in a way that was very pared down. He also adds that the film is "pretty close to the actual event."
However in an introduction to the published screenplay of "Fargo," Ethan Coen lets the truth out of the bag. In the closing sentence, he says, as quoted by Vincent, that the film "aims to be both homey and exotic, and pretends to be true."
"Fargo" T.V. show is also not based on one true incident or event, according to reports. The text messages are reportedly a lie.
"Fargo" premieres on Thursday, May 01 on SBS One in Australia. According to the brief synopsis of the show, Lorne Malvo (Bill Thornton) is a rootless, manipulative man who meets and forever changes the life of small town insurance salesman Lester Nygaard (Martin Freeman).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People