Brandon Rodgers: Chelsea’s Defense Beat Down Liverpool
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 30, 2014 7:51 PM EST
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believed Chelsea's defensive tactics was the one that put his team in the hole in their 2-0 loss to the Blues last weekend.
"I like to take the initiative in games, try to dominate and let players express themselves. Our game is based on (being) offensive, being creative, as opposed to stopping," Rodgers said.
"It (Chelsea's approach) is a defensive style, the polar opposite to how we work, and hopefully over time our offensive mentality and aggression will get us long-term results," he added.
The Reds coach added that it was hard for his players to penetrate Chelsea's imposing defense, which is employed perfectly by Jose Mourinho.
"It's not difficult to coach to put 10 players right on your 18-yard box but it's much harder to try and break through it and they defended it well.
"We were the team that wanted to win the game. It was difficult because they played with a back six right from the off. "We found it difficult to break them down, but it wasn't nerves. It was just that final ball and maybe that bit of luck that we needed so we're obviously disappointed with the result."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal