Luis Suarez Receives PFA Player Of The Year
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 30, 2014 7:49 PM EST
The Professional Footballers' Association named Liverpool gunner Luis Suarez as its Player of the Year, making the Uruguayan the first non-European to win such prestigious award.
Members of the PFA gave majority votes to Suarez ahead of Chelsea's Eden Hazard and Manchester City's Yaya Toure. Suarez received the award right after Liverpool absorbed a 2-0 loss to Chelsea in the weekend.
"The Premier League is full of really great players and so it is a great honour when these players recognise your work on the pitch," he said. "I always try my best for the team and it is nice to get awards but really this is for my team-mates and the staff at Liverpool because without their help I wouldn't have this prize. This is for my team-mates and staff and for my wife and children."
On the other hand, Hazard was selected as the PFA young player of the year ahead of Daniel Sturridge and Southampton's Luke Shaw.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase