Luis Suarez Receives PFA Player Of The Year
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 30, 2014 7:49 PM EST
The Professional Footballers' Association named Liverpool gunner Luis Suarez as its Player of the Year, making the Uruguayan the first non-European to win such prestigious award.
Members of the PFA gave majority votes to Suarez ahead of Chelsea's Eden Hazard and Manchester City's Yaya Toure. Suarez received the award right after Liverpool absorbed a 2-0 loss to Chelsea in the weekend.
"The Premier League is full of really great players and so it is a great honour when these players recognise your work on the pitch," he said. "I always try my best for the team and it is nice to get awards but really this is for my team-mates and the staff at Liverpool because without their help I wouldn't have this prize. This is for my team-mates and staff and for my wife and children."
On the other hand, Hazard was selected as the PFA young player of the year ahead of Daniel Sturridge and Southampton's Luke Shaw.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS