Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Chiru Tries to Jump Queue in Hurry to Vote, Faces Taunts from Voters in Hyderabad
By Rama Mohan | April 30, 2014 6:57 PM EST
Union Tourism Minister K Chiranjeevi on 30 April faced an embarrassing situation in Hyderabad when he jumped the queue and tried to cast his vote in haste. The voters standing before the popular star took him to task and told him to follow the queue system like a common voter.
Government of India
Union Tourism Minister K Chiranjeevi
The Mega Star of Telugu cinema came to Jubilee Hills polling station along with his family members in the morning and stood in the queue, which had already grown into a very long one. When polling officials at the booth took note of the VVIP voter in the queue, they invited him into the booth to vote.
Chiranjeevi tried to enter the booth but a youth standing before him stopped him and asked how he can jump the queue, when people before him were waiting to cast their vote for one-and-a-half hour.
"Why do you expect special treatment (by the officials) like this," Deccan Chronicle quoted him. "Grave injustice," another senior citizen added, frowning at the star. The remaining voters also joined and taunted the star and asked him to stand in the queue to vote.
Chiranjeevi, who is also the Congress Campaign Committee Chairman, then stood in the line along with his family members and cast his vote.
However, later Chiranjeevi claimed that he went into the booth directly, just to check whether his name was in the voter list or not. "I am not such a person (to jump the queue and vote). I am a person who respects democracy," the Minister explained to the waiting media persons.
Meanwhile, his younger brother and Jana Sena founder Pawan Kalyan cast his franchise at Gayatri Hills booth in the same Jubilee Hills area. He called upon the people to come out in large numbers and vote. Another popular actor from Nandamuri clan, Junior NT Rama Rao also came to Obulreddy School polling booth in the city along with his wife and cast his vote.
The Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan, TRS chief, K Chandrasekhar Rao, Lok Satta national president Jayaprakash Narayan were among eminent voters who cast their vote in the morning hours. The Governor, along with his wife, had to wait for some time at MS Makta polling booth, as the electronic voting machine (EVM) there did not work properly. Narasimhan waited till the EVM was repaired.
In Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh, simultaneous voting was underway in 17 Lok Sabha and 119 Assembly constituencies. The State Chief Electoral Officer Bhanvarlal said that voting will be extended in some sensitive polling stations and if the situation demands, the voting time will be extended even upto mid-night, Bhanvarlal added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date