Maruti Suzuki to Continue Discount Offerings in India
By greeshma m | April 30, 2014 6:57 PM EST
Maruti Suzuki Banks on Post-election Boost after Q4 Profit Drops 36 Percent
Though the other auto majors in India are mulling over a price hike for their vehicle in the country, Maruti said that it will not think of a price hike unless the auto market sentiments see a change.
"We offered a discount of ₹17,500 on an average across models in the fourth quarter (ended 31 March). Discounts are going to remain unless the market condition improves," Maruti Suzuki India Chief Financial Officer Ajay Seth told PTI, reported NDTV.
In India, the automobile industry has been witnessing paltry sales over the past couple of months and the market condition continues to remain the same, despite the rigorous attempts made by the auto makers. The excise duty reduction announced in the interim budget also did not boost up the sales of the vehicles in the country. Beside the poor sales of the vehicles, auto makers in the country are also battling the currency flux.
Currently, Maruti is offering a discount of ₹50,500 for Swift diesel and ₹43,000 for Swift Dzire, according to AutoCar India report. Maruti's other models - Celerio, Alto, SX4, Omni, WagonR, Ritz, Ertiga and Alto K1 - are also enjoying the benefit of price cut, ranging from ₹11,500to ₹91,500.
In March, Maruti had posted 5.5 percent decline in total sales to 1,13,350 units, as against the 1,19,937 units in the corresponding month last year.
The domestic sales of the company witnessed a dip by 5.2 percent in the month of March 2014, as against 1,07,890 units in March 2013. The export of the company also declined by eight percent to 11,081 units in March, against 12,047 units in the corresponding month last year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS