Maruti Suzuki to Continue Discount Offerings in India
By greeshma m | April 30, 2014 6:57 PM EST
Maruti Suzuki Banks on Post-election Boost after Q4 Profit Drops 36 Percent
Though the other auto majors in India are mulling over a price hike for their vehicle in the country, Maruti said that it will not think of a price hike unless the auto market sentiments see a change.
"We offered a discount of ₹17,500 on an average across models in the fourth quarter (ended 31 March). Discounts are going to remain unless the market condition improves," Maruti Suzuki India Chief Financial Officer Ajay Seth told PTI, reported NDTV.
In India, the automobile industry has been witnessing paltry sales over the past couple of months and the market condition continues to remain the same, despite the rigorous attempts made by the auto makers. The excise duty reduction announced in the interim budget also did not boost up the sales of the vehicles in the country. Beside the poor sales of the vehicles, auto makers in the country are also battling the currency flux.
Currently, Maruti is offering a discount of ₹50,500 for Swift diesel and ₹43,000 for Swift Dzire, according to AutoCar India report. Maruti's other models - Celerio, Alto, SX4, Omni, WagonR, Ritz, Ertiga and Alto K1 - are also enjoying the benefit of price cut, ranging from ₹11,500to ₹91,500.
In March, Maruti had posted 5.5 percent decline in total sales to 1,13,350 units, as against the 1,19,937 units in the corresponding month last year.
The domestic sales of the company witnessed a dip by 5.2 percent in the month of March 2014, as against 1,07,890 units in March 2013. The export of the company also declined by eight percent to 11,081 units in March, against 12,047 units in the corresponding month last year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health