IPL to Stick to the Eight-team Pattern Till 2017
By Shruthi SU | April 30, 2014 5:43 PM EST
The Indian Premier League (IPL) will see no increase in the number of teams in the next three years as the BCCI has decided to stick to the present eight teams till 2017.
The decision comes as a response to there being no replacement for the two franchises sacked in 2012 and 2013 - the Sahara Pune Warriors and the Kochi Tuskers Kerala respectively.
"The BCCI has frozen the number of teams to eight till 2017," the IPL governing council chairman Ranjib Biswal said in Dubai.
The business pattern of the IPL is such that everything has doubled since the previous year including the prize money (which has increased to ₹40 crore from ₹ 25 crore), the online viewership and followers among others.
"There's a prize purse that doubles if you finish in the top four," the Chief Operating Officer of the league Sundar Raman said. "The business model of the IPL is pretty robust and possibly a better model than any other franchise-operating leagues right now."
"Compared to the first seven days of last season, the online viewership has doubled - 12 million compared to 6 million.
"The page views on the website have been 50% higher till 26 April - 89 million. On other social networks we have had more than nine million followers. IPL is the first Indian brand to achieve this."
The existing eight franchises, as the contract suggests, will not have to pay the franchise fee to the BCCI after 2017, and can own the teams in perpetuity.
"The board commits to minimum revenue to each franchise right at the top of the season, which means at the tenth year you stop paying the franchise fee and only share a percentage of the revenue you earn," Raman added. "So the bulk of the expense doesn't exist after that."
Image credit: BCCI
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks