Samsung Galaxy S5 ‘Mini’ in the Offing; Leaked Specifications And Release Date
By Pavithra Rathinavel | April 30, 2014 5:12 PM EST
The South Korean company is set to launch two more models under S5. The first is the compact version Galaxy S5 Mini and the other is Galaxy S5 Zoom or Galaxy K Zoom.
According to GSMPedia (via BGR), some details about the Mini version are out. The rumored Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini will feature a 4.5-inches display with 1,280 × 720 pixel resolution along with pixel strength of 326 ppi. The handset is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chipset, quad-core processor clocked at 1.6 GHz. Also, the phone will sport an 8 MP rear facing camera and 1.5 MP front-facing camera unit.
Galaxy S5 Mini will house a 1.5 GB RAM and 16 GB of internal storage. The device will come with sufficient 2100 mAh battery and expected to run on Android 4.4 KitKat with TouchWiz UI on top of it.
Galaxy S5 Mini is reported to be water- and dust-resistant, which is one of the bigger Galaxy S5's stellar selling points. If rumors were true, the device will have the same IP67 certification like its bigger counterpart, which makes it all the more attractive than the popular LG G2 Mini. LG G3 Mini is underdevelopment, which is expected to release sometime later this year.
The dust- and water-resistant features are usually part of Samsung's 'Active' handset models. This trend started with Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. With S5 Mini in the offing, this trend is about to change for Samsung. This this will make the Active brand of handsets look redundant. It will be interesting to see how Samsung counters this problem in the coming months.
Galaxy S5 Mini will not come with the fingerprint scanner and the heart rate monitor which are part of the high-end Galaxy S5. As BGR puts it, "it is not necessarily a bad thing, as the fingerprint scanner has been described as more like a marketing gimmick than a legitimate feature."
The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini is expected to be announced in June, claims BGR.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111SELECT latest_id FROM site_artdata WHERE type='ib_articles_day2ago' Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111SELECT tid as num FROM biztimes_stats.stats_articles_au_pop WHERE maincat_id='6' AND outkey='Y' AND tid> ORDER BY hits DESC LIMIT 15Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111SELECT article_id as num FROM ib_categories_index WHERE tid=6 ORDER BY article_id DESC LIMIT 5
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine