Samsung Galaxy S5 ‘Mini’ in the Offing; Leaked Specifications And Release Date
By Pavithra Rathinavel | April 30, 2014 5:12 PM EST
The South Korean company is set to launch two more models under S5. The first is the compact version Galaxy S5 Mini and the other is Galaxy S5 Zoom or Galaxy K Zoom.
According to GSMPedia (via BGR), some details about the Mini version are out. The rumored Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini will feature a 4.5-inches display with 1,280 × 720 pixel resolution along with pixel strength of 326 ppi. The handset is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chipset, quad-core processor clocked at 1.6 GHz. Also, the phone will sport an 8 MP rear facing camera and 1.5 MP front-facing camera unit.
Galaxy S5 Mini will house a 1.5 GB RAM and 16 GB of internal storage. The device will come with sufficient 2100 mAh battery and expected to run on Android 4.4 KitKat with TouchWiz UI on top of it.
Galaxy S5 Mini is reported to be water- and dust-resistant, which is one of the bigger Galaxy S5's stellar selling points. If rumors were true, the device will have the same IP67 certification like its bigger counterpart, which makes it all the more attractive than the popular LG G2 Mini. LG G3 Mini is underdevelopment, which is expected to release sometime later this year.
The dust- and water-resistant features are usually part of Samsung's 'Active' handset models. This trend started with Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. With S5 Mini in the offing, this trend is about to change for Samsung. This this will make the Active brand of handsets look redundant. It will be interesting to see how Samsung counters this problem in the coming months.
Galaxy S5 Mini will not come with the fingerprint scanner and the heart rate monitor which are part of the high-end Galaxy S5. As BGR puts it, "it is not necessarily a bad thing, as the fingerprint scanner has been described as more like a marketing gimmick than a legitimate feature."
The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini is expected to be announced in June, claims BGR.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family