Samsung Galaxy S5 ‘Mini’ in the Offing; Leaked Specifications And Release Date
By Pavithra Rathinavel | April 30, 2014 5:12 PM EST
The South Korean company is set to launch two more models under S5. The first is the compact version Galaxy S5 Mini and the other is Galaxy S5 Zoom or Galaxy K Zoom.
According to GSMPedia (via BGR), some details about the Mini version are out. The rumored Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini will feature a 4.5-inches display with 1,280 × 720 pixel resolution along with pixel strength of 326 ppi. The handset is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chipset, quad-core processor clocked at 1.6 GHz. Also, the phone will sport an 8 MP rear facing camera and 1.5 MP front-facing camera unit.
Galaxy S5 Mini will house a 1.5 GB RAM and 16 GB of internal storage. The device will come with sufficient 2100 mAh battery and expected to run on Android 4.4 KitKat with TouchWiz UI on top of it.
Galaxy S5 Mini is reported to be water- and dust-resistant, which is one of the bigger Galaxy S5's stellar selling points. If rumors were true, the device will have the same IP67 certification like its bigger counterpart, which makes it all the more attractive than the popular LG G2 Mini. LG G3 Mini is underdevelopment, which is expected to release sometime later this year.
The dust- and water-resistant features are usually part of Samsung's 'Active' handset models. This trend started with Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. With S5 Mini in the offing, this trend is about to change for Samsung. This this will make the Active brand of handsets look redundant. It will be interesting to see how Samsung counters this problem in the coming months.
Galaxy S5 Mini will not come with the fingerprint scanner and the heart rate monitor which are part of the high-end Galaxy S5. As BGR puts it, "it is not necessarily a bad thing, as the fingerprint scanner has been described as more like a marketing gimmick than a legitimate feature."
The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini is expected to be announced in June, claims BGR.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build