Warner Music Agrees to Pay Kylie Minogue’s Backup Dancers Correct Legal Minimum Fee
By Anne Lu | April 30, 2014 4:35 PM EST
Warner Music Australia is finally paying Kylie Minogue’s dancers for their music video and Logie Awards performance. The pop star’s label has agreed to shell out the correct rates to the backup dancers following criticisms that it offered them less than the legal minimum fee.
It was previously reported that some professional dancers were asked to work for free on Minogue’s “I Was Gonna Cancel” music video. Some were offered $100 for their work, although the union wanted $200, which it said was the legal minimum.
The industry standard is $550.
Freelance dancer Catelyn Watson told Fairfax Media that she was initially told that she would receive no payment for her work for the
On Sunday night, Minogue performed her song live with 30 dancers. According to Equity Australia director Sue McCreadie said that the dancers were initially offered $700, including rehearsals and overtime, but it was still less than the legal minimum payment of $1156 to include the hours that they have worked.
According to Fairfax Media, Warner Music has now agreed to pay the correct rates to all the dancers involved in both the music video shoot and the live performance at the Logies.
It is currently in negotiation with subcontracted producers to assess which performers are classified as extras, inexperienced dancers or experienced dancers. This would determine how much the dancers should be paid.
The rate of the dancers wasn’t the only controversy that Minogue unwittingly courted during her Logies performance.
Some viewers have accused the pop princess of lip-synching during her number, a claim that Minogue has denied.
“Dancing With the Stars” judge Todd McKenney thought that Minogue was “#mimingbadly,” while some of his followers assented.
Minogue, however, denied the lip-synching allegation.
@MarkLoSurdo94 yes, we did something different and YES, I was singing live.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports