Warner Music Agrees to Pay Kylie Minogue’s Backup Dancers Correct Legal Minimum Fee
By Anne Lu | April 30, 2014 4:35 PM EST
Warner Music Australia is finally paying Kylie Minogue’s dancers for their music video and Logie Awards performance. The pop star’s label has agreed to shell out the correct rates to the backup dancers following criticisms that it offered them less than the legal minimum fee.
It was previously reported that some professional dancers were asked to work for free on Minogue’s “I Was Gonna Cancel” music video. Some were offered $100 for their work, although the union wanted $200, which it said was the legal minimum.
The industry standard is $550.
Freelance dancer Catelyn Watson told Fairfax Media that she was initially told that she would receive no payment for her work for the
On Sunday night, Minogue performed her song live with 30 dancers. According to Equity Australia director Sue McCreadie said that the dancers were initially offered $700, including rehearsals and overtime, but it was still less than the legal minimum payment of $1156 to include the hours that they have worked.
According to Fairfax Media, Warner Music has now agreed to pay the correct rates to all the dancers involved in both the music video shoot and the live performance at the Logies.
It is currently in negotiation with subcontracted producers to assess which performers are classified as extras, inexperienced dancers or experienced dancers. This would determine how much the dancers should be paid.
The rate of the dancers wasn’t the only controversy that Minogue unwittingly courted during her Logies performance.
Some viewers have accused the pop princess of lip-synching during her number, a claim that Minogue has denied.
“Dancing With the Stars” judge Todd McKenney thought that Minogue was “#mimingbadly,” while some of his followers assented.
Minogue, however, denied the lip-synching allegation.
@MarkLoSurdo94 yes, we did something different and YES, I was singing live.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies