Warner Music Agrees to Pay Kylie Minogue’s Backup Dancers Correct Legal Minimum Fee
By Anne Lu | April 30, 2014 4:35 PM EST
Warner Music Australia is finally paying Kylie Minogue’s dancers for their music video and Logie Awards performance. The pop star’s label has agreed to shell out the correct rates to the backup dancers following criticisms that it offered them less than the legal minimum fee.
It was previously reported that some professional dancers were asked to work for free on Minogue’s “I Was Gonna Cancel” music video. Some were offered $100 for their work, although the union wanted $200, which it said was the legal minimum.
The industry standard is $550.
Freelance dancer Catelyn Watson told Fairfax Media that she was initially told that she would receive no payment for her work for the
On Sunday night, Minogue performed her song live with 30 dancers. According to Equity Australia director Sue McCreadie said that the dancers were initially offered $700, including rehearsals and overtime, but it was still less than the legal minimum payment of $1156 to include the hours that they have worked.
According to Fairfax Media, Warner Music has now agreed to pay the correct rates to all the dancers involved in both the music video shoot and the live performance at the Logies.
It is currently in negotiation with subcontracted producers to assess which performers are classified as extras, inexperienced dancers or experienced dancers. This would determine how much the dancers should be paid.
The rate of the dancers wasn’t the only controversy that Minogue unwittingly courted during her Logies performance.
Some viewers have accused the pop princess of lip-synching during her number, a claim that Minogue has denied.
“Dancing With the Stars” judge Todd McKenney thought that Minogue was “#mimingbadly,” while some of his followers assented.
Minogue, however, denied the lip-synching allegation.
@MarkLoSurdo94 yes, we did something different and YES, I was singing live.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?