AFL Appoints Glen McLachlan as New CEO
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 30, 2014 4:08 PM EST
The Australian Football League has appointed a new CEO, Glen McLachlan, on Wednesday. McLachlan will take over the position as Andrew Demetriou steps down on June 5.
McLachlan has been selected from a list of 20 potential candidates for the position, nationally and internationally. AFL Chairman Mike Fitzpatrick stated they narrowed the list to three applicants who were interviewed by the board on Monday.
"The most important task of the AFL Commission is to select the leader of the AFL ... I am very pleased to announce that the AFL Commission has selected Gillon McLachlan to be chief executive officer of the AFL ... He is indeed the best man for the job ... It's particularly pleasing to appoint a candidate developed from our own game ... We're also pleased to announce a CEO with such strong support across the industry .... I know our stakeholders and most importantly out clubs will support this decision," Fitzpatrick said after the decision.
McLachlan is confident of his own position and believed he will be the best person to fit the role. He is proud to associate with Australian football and optimistic to give the best of ability.
"I'm obviously incredibly proud to be sitting here accepting the job as chief executive of the Australian Football League ... I want to thank Mike and thank the Commission for their faith in me ... I guess people in our industry and within the game know my background. I've worked here for 10 plus years. I've worked in a number of functions ... I feel I was a strong candidate for I understand the passion of football ... I've had my fair share of cold showers and committee meetings ... I know how the games is an intrinsic part of people's lives ... I also feel I'm a strong candidate for I have a clear vision on how the game needs to go and how were going to get there," McLachlan stated during the press conference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage