AFL Appoints Glen McLachlan as New CEO
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 30, 2014 4:08 PM EST
The Australian Football League has appointed a new CEO, Glen McLachlan, on Wednesday. McLachlan will take over the position as Andrew Demetriou steps down on June 5.
McLachlan has been selected from a list of 20 potential candidates for the position, nationally and internationally. AFL Chairman Mike Fitzpatrick stated they narrowed the list to three applicants who were interviewed by the board on Monday.
"The most important task of the AFL Commission is to select the leader of the AFL ... I am very pleased to announce that the AFL Commission has selected Gillon McLachlan to be chief executive officer of the AFL ... He is indeed the best man for the job ... It's particularly pleasing to appoint a candidate developed from our own game ... We're also pleased to announce a CEO with such strong support across the industry .... I know our stakeholders and most importantly out clubs will support this decision," Fitzpatrick said after the decision.
McLachlan is confident of his own position and believed he will be the best person to fit the role. He is proud to associate with Australian football and optimistic to give the best of ability.
"I'm obviously incredibly proud to be sitting here accepting the job as chief executive of the Australian Football League ... I want to thank Mike and thank the Commission for their faith in me ... I guess people in our industry and within the game know my background. I've worked here for 10 plus years. I've worked in a number of functions ... I feel I was a strong candidate for I understand the passion of football ... I've had my fair share of cold showers and committee meetings ... I know how the games is an intrinsic part of people's lives ... I also feel I'm a strong candidate for I have a clear vision on how the game needs to go and how were going to get there," McLachlan stated during the press conference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS