AFL Appoints Glen McLachlan as New CEO
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 30, 2014 4:08 PM EST
The Australian Football League has appointed a new CEO, Glen McLachlan, on Wednesday. McLachlan will take over the position as Andrew Demetriou steps down on June 5.
McLachlan has been selected from a list of 20 potential candidates for the position, nationally and internationally. AFL Chairman Mike Fitzpatrick stated they narrowed the list to three applicants who were interviewed by the board on Monday.
"The most important task of the AFL Commission is to select the leader of the AFL ... I am very pleased to announce that the AFL Commission has selected Gillon McLachlan to be chief executive officer of the AFL ... He is indeed the best man for the job ... It's particularly pleasing to appoint a candidate developed from our own game ... We're also pleased to announce a CEO with such strong support across the industry .... I know our stakeholders and most importantly out clubs will support this decision," Fitzpatrick said after the decision.
McLachlan is confident of his own position and believed he will be the best person to fit the role. He is proud to associate with Australian football and optimistic to give the best of ability.
"I'm obviously incredibly proud to be sitting here accepting the job as chief executive of the Australian Football League ... I want to thank Mike and thank the Commission for their faith in me ... I guess people in our industry and within the game know my background. I've worked here for 10 plus years. I've worked in a number of functions ... I feel I was a strong candidate for I understand the passion of football ... I've had my fair share of cold showers and committee meetings ... I know how the games is an intrinsic part of people's lives ... I also feel I'm a strong candidate for I have a clear vision on how the game needs to go and how were going to get there," McLachlan stated during the press conference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon