Albacore Tuna Caught Off the Shores of Oregon & Washington Bear Fukushima Radiation, Fish Still Safe to Eat
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 30, 2014 2:17 PM EST
The albacore tuna caught off the shores of Oregon and Washington have been found to have radiation levels from Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant. But scientists said they are still safe to eat.
A young girl receives a radiation scan in Fukushima prefecture/Reuters File
Researchers from the Oregon State University said on Tuesday a person would need to eat more than 700,000 pounds of albacore tuna just to match the amount of radiation s/he gets annually from exposure to cosmic rays, the air, the ground, X-rays and other sources.
Their study, published in journal Environmental Science and Technology, examined 26 Pacific albacore tuna caught between 2008 and 2012. Testing the fishes for pre- and post-Fukushima radiation levels, some showed containing tripled radiation levels, although it was only a mere 0.1 per cent of the level set by the FDA.
"You can't say there is absolutely zero risk because any radiation is assumed to carry at least some small risk," Delvan Nelville, lead author and Oregon State University graduate research assistant, said. "But these trace levels are too small to be a realistic concern."
"A year of eating albacore with these cesium traces is about the same dose of radiation as you get from spending 23 seconds in a stuffy basement from radon gas, or sleeping next to your spouse for 40 nights from the natural potassium-40 in their body," Mr Nelville added. "It's just not much at all."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Rapid Rise in Flu; Hospitals in New Zealand Struggle
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales