Madras High Court Orders Review of Nokia Tax Demand
April 30, 2014 2:14 PM EST
A court ordered tax authorities in Tamil Nadu on Tuesday to reconsider a nearly $400 million sales tax claim against Nokia on handsets made at the Finnish company's Chennai plant.
File picture shows a man walking past a Nokia logo during the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, February 28, 2012. Nokia gave an upbeat forecast for its telecom equipment unit Nokia Solutions and Networks (NSN), giving hope for a pickup in what will be the Finnish company's main business after the sale of its phones division to Microsoft. Shares in Nokia rose 6 percent after the company forecast NSN's profit margin would improve in the fourth quarter to around 12 percent, plus or minus 4 percentage points, from 8.4 percent in the third quarter. Picture taken February 28, 2012.
Nokia, which is embroiled in a separate tax dispute with the authorities that stopped the plant from being transferred to Microsoft as part of the sale of its mobile phone business, had appealed to the Madras High Court after receiving a demand notice for about 24 billion rupees ($396 million).
The court on Tuesday asked Nokia to deposit 10 percent of the disputed tax demand within eight weeks as a precondition for the two sides to discuss the claims afresh, according to a copy of the court order seen by Reuters.
Tamil Nadu authorities had alleged that handsets from Nokia's Chennai plant were not exported but instead sold in India, the company said in March, calling the claim "absurd".
Nokia is "weighing its options for legal recourse", it said in a statement on Tuesday after the court order. "(Nokia) would like to reiterate that it continues to see the Tamil Nadu claim as without merit and will defend itself vigorously," the company said.
Nokia last week closed the deal to sell its handsets business to Microsoft, but left the factory out of the deal. It would operate the Chennai factory as a contract manufacturing unit for Microsoft.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Pope Francis, Catholic Church Key To Climate Change Effort
- Passengers Shouted 'Shame' On Pak Politician For Delaying Flight And Barred Him From Boarding
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border