MH370: Wreckage Found in Bay of Bengal Yet to be Verified - Defense Minister
By Athena Yenko | April 30, 2014 12:32 PM EST
GeoResonance, an Adelaide-based company, has claimed it has found wreckage of the missing MH370 in the Bay of Bengal 5,000 kilometers from the southern Indian Ocean off Perth.
The company said it was conducting its own search for MH370 since March 10. Malaysian Defense Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said the wreckage found will yet to be verified Wednesday the earliest. He assured media during the press conference in Malaysia that this claim will be discussed daily among the Technical Committee.
"At the earliest, we can only know on Wednesday," he told reporters Tuesday.
He said they needed to hear more opinions from Australian and Chinese experts. Interestingly, local news portal The Star Online reported about the bodies found near the Bay of Bengal as early as March 17.
According to the report, locals found at least 20 unidentified bodies floating along Meghna River, the mouth of the Bay of Bengal on March 16. Pictures of the unidentified bodies were uploaded at tazakhobor.com. The bodies, based on the state of decomposition, died several days prior when they were found.
But Bangladesh Defense Attaché Air Cdre M. Abul Bashar ignored the report saying the bodies were of Bangladesh nationals and not the passengers of the missing plane. Around the time of reporting, Malaysian Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak had already asked Bangladeshi counterpart Sheikh Hasina to assist in locating the missing MH370.
Meanwhile, recent developments in the search had Malaysian authorities announcing increasing assets for the new search phase that is now focused underwater. Hishammuddin said this will be discussed with Australia.
"This discussion will include issues such as the deployment of assets with deep-sea search capabilities, the cost of operations and how authorities can keep the next of kin well informed of developments. The second phase would involve combing the seabed for any sign of wreckage," he said.
He gave assurance the search team consisting of the different nations will not stop the search until MH370 is found. The U.S. National Transport Safety Board, the UK Air Accident Investigation Bureau and China's Aircraft Accident Investigation Department are now all included in the search team.
"The main purpose of this team is to investigate, evaluate and determine the actual cause of the incident to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future," Hishammuddin stressed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers