iPhone Air, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Launch Delayed Due to Battery Issues, iPad Air 2, 12-inch MacBook Coming Soon - Analyst
By Karla Danica Figuerres | April 30, 2014 12:06 PM EST
Initial reports cited two iPhone variants will be released this year - 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch phablet version.
The larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 release date might be delayed and be pushed until 2015, according to Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times. The report said the Cupertino tech giant has been struggling to find sufficient battery, which measures 2 mm or less to fit into the thin profile of the smartphone.
The report referred to the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 as iPhone Air, which has not been finalized as the official name of the next generation iPhone. If this rumor is true, iPhone Air will join the MacBook Air and the recently launched iPad Air in carrying the name and delivering a device with a very slim chassis.
iPad Air 2 and 12-inch MacBook are predicted to come soon with detailed predictions from KGI Securities Analyst Ming Chi-Kuo via MacRumors. The iPad Air 2 is expected to sport an Apple A8 processor and touchID, which will be released this year. The 12-inch MacBook will be the much anticipated Retina version of the MacBook Air and will sport a fanless design, which is similar to the tablets.
In the past, it has been reported the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will be launching first this fall and the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will follow due to production issues. Also, according to a report from Reuters in the previous month, Apple has been having issues with in-cell production technology in the 5.5-inch of iPhone 6, with LG Display, Japan Display and Sharp set to make the screen for the smartphone.
"Japan Display Inc, Sharp Corp. and South Korea's LG Display Co. Ltd have all been tapped to make the screens," said the sources, who asked not to be identified.
But due to difficulties with in-cell production technology for the larger 5.5-inch size, one of the sources said, a decision was made to begin mass production of the 4.7-inch version alone. Production of 5.5-inch screens is expected to start several months later, with the possibility of a shift to a film sensor instead of in-cell technology for that size," the source said via Reuters.
In addition to the bigger screen and thinner design, the next generation iPhone is expected sport a new A8 processor, upgraded camera with optical image stabilization and touch ID fingerprint.
Also, Apple is rumored to be negotiating with carriers to increase iPhone 6's price by $100.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report