19-Year-Old British Cancer Patient Dramatically ‘Escapes Death’ After ‘Coughing up’ Tumour
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 30, 2014 11:23 AM EST
Stephen Sutton, the 19-year-old British cancer patient who managed to raise millions for cancer charity, has revealed to his Facebook followers that he "coughed up" a tumour straight off his lungs.
It came as a strange but pleasant twist to Sutton's cancer battle. He said on his Facebook page that he got admitted to hospital during the Easter weekend. In his April 22 post, he gave the "final thumbs up" as he wrote, "It's a shame the end has come so suddenly - there's so many people I haven't got round to properly thank or say good-bye to." While many may have expected the worst following his post, he wrote on Sunday, April 27, that there was a "bizarre but fortunate twist" as he coughed up "an oval red-stained solid object." He said that he felt better immediately after coughing up the object. According to his own words, he felt "bloody fantastic."
Sutton further wrote, "The doctors have discussed what's happened and the only plausible conclusion is that I've literally coughed up a tumour (probably along with bits of infection etc.) that was blocking my airway." Toronto Sun reported that Sutton raised over $5 million for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
At first, Sutton thought that he was about to suffocate when he started couching. However, he said that his condition improved dramatically after he coughed up the object. His X-ray report shows that his lung, which earlier collapsed, was slightly inflated. He described that incident saying, ""This whole week has been pretty unbelievable and I can barely fully get my head round everything that has gone on, but yesterday there was perhaps the most bizarre but fortunate twist in the tale yet."
Sutton has shown exception courage to accept his terminal illness. He was apparently happy to die as he managed to raise money for the needful. He said, "I'm cool with it. I'll go knowing I've helped others."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Heart Diseases Can Be Healed with Fat: Study Says
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- 232 Teeth Extracted from a Teenager: World Record
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales