19-Year-Old British Cancer Patient Dramatically ‘Escapes Death’ After ‘Coughing up’ Tumour
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 30, 2014 11:23 AM EST
Stephen Sutton, the 19-year-old British cancer patient who managed to raise millions for cancer charity, has revealed to his Facebook followers that he "coughed up" a tumour straight off his lungs.
It came as a strange but pleasant twist to Sutton's cancer battle. He said on his Facebook page that he got admitted to hospital during the Easter weekend. In his April 22 post, he gave the "final thumbs up" as he wrote, "It's a shame the end has come so suddenly - there's so many people I haven't got round to properly thank or say good-bye to." While many may have expected the worst following his post, he wrote on Sunday, April 27, that there was a "bizarre but fortunate twist" as he coughed up "an oval red-stained solid object." He said that he felt better immediately after coughing up the object. According to his own words, he felt "bloody fantastic."
Sutton further wrote, "The doctors have discussed what's happened and the only plausible conclusion is that I've literally coughed up a tumour (probably along with bits of infection etc.) that was blocking my airway." Toronto Sun reported that Sutton raised over $5 million for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
At first, Sutton thought that he was about to suffocate when he started couching. However, he said that his condition improved dramatically after he coughed up the object. His X-ray report shows that his lung, which earlier collapsed, was slightly inflated. He described that incident saying, ""This whole week has been pretty unbelievable and I can barely fully get my head round everything that has gone on, but yesterday there was perhaps the most bizarre but fortunate twist in the tale yet."
Sutton has shown exception courage to accept his terminal illness. He was apparently happy to die as he managed to raise money for the needful. He said, "I'm cool with it. I'll go knowing I've helped others."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Peter Quillin Claims That Adriana Lima Will Beat Gisele In The Boxing Ring; Adriana's Weight Loss Through Boxing and A Paleo Diet
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- Prince Harry Turns 30 And Inherits $16 Million: Cancels Birthday Bash Due To Morning Sickness Of His Sister-in-Law Kate Middleton
- Ebola Update: Australian Aid Worker Appeals For More Field Hospitals, U.S. Steps Up Efforts To Fight Virus
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet