Ultra-Tough Samsung Galaxy S6 Release Soon as Samsung Develops Mass Grapehene Production
By Precious Silva | April 30, 2014 11:07 AM EST
Samsung has been working a new technology that can change smartphone builds completely. If Apple has been working on a sapphire display for a more cutting edge user experience, Samsung has been focusing on the production of an ultra tough display for its upcoming handset. According to recent information, Samsung has been developing a graphene technology that can create an ultra-durable Samsung Galaxy S6 and similar devices.
A new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone is displayed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 23, 2014. Samsung Electronics unveiled a new smart watch and fitness band along with the latest version of its flagship Galaxy smartphone on Monday, demonstrating how the battleground for innovation is shifting from the hand to the wrist.Picture taken on February 23. REUTERS/Albert Gea
According to a report by the Asian Scientist, Samsung Electronics has found a way to speed up synthesis of graphene for mass production and commercial use. The method allows Samsung to create graphene materials appropriate for electronic devices.
"This is one of the most significant breakthroughs in graphene research in history...We expect this discovery to accelerate the commercialization of graphene, which could unlock the next era of consumer electronic technology."
Graphene offers better electronic mobility compared to silicon. Silicon is the most popular material used in semiconductors presently. Graphene has 100 times better conducting ability than it. The material is highly flexible with high heat conductibility features. It is also stronger than steel. These traits make the graphene material ideal for wearable devices and other similar next generation electronic products.
According to Asian Scientist, engineers across the globe have been investing on developing a method to commercialize graphene. However, commercialization remained a challenge. Previous synthesis methods include multi-crystal synthesis. This refers to a processing of creating small graphene particles to develop large-area graphene. The problem with this method is that the process deteriorated the mechanical and electric properties of graphene. This inhibits application of the material to large scale production.
Samsung's method includes synthesizing large-area graphene to one layer of crystal. The single crystal layer comes with a semiconductor retaining the mechanical and electric properties of the material.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance