'The Last of Us' Lead Artist, Leaves Naughty Dog
By Tanya Diente | April 30, 2014 9:25 AM EST
Gaming enthusiasts play video games at the PAX East convention in Boston, Massachusetts, April 12, 2014. The Boston event along with the original Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle represent the two largest gaming events in North America, according to the organizers, who this week announced the 2015 launch of PAX South. REUTERS
Knowland is known for his amazing work on award-winning video game "The Last of Us". The game grabbed top honours at the 2014 Game Developers Choice Award. Michael Knowland has worked with the studio Naughty Dog for more than 3 years. Over 2 years was devoted to the production of the Playstation 3-exclusive commercial hit game "The Last of Us." Prior to Naughty Dog, Knowland worked at "Elite: Dangerous" studio Frontier Developments for 1 year and 4 months from August 2009 to November 2010.
Knowland joins two Naughty Dog directors who also left the company prior to him: "Uncharted 4" game director Justin Richmond and series creative director Amy Hennig. Hennig, who was reportedly forced out by Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley of "Last of Us," left Naughty Dog in March and is now with Visceral Games to help in the progress of the upcoming "Star Wars" game. Richmond, who has worked with the "Uncharted" game series since 2008, followed thereafter on the same month and is now with "League of Legends" studio Riot Games.
Michael Knowland's LinkedIn profile confirms his exit from Sony first-party studio this month. His profile detailed his past employment with Naughty Dog as Character Artist for 10 months from January 2011 to October 2011 and as Lead Character Artist for 2 years and 7 months from October 2011 to April 2014.
Sony is yet to provide details on Michael Knowland's departure from Naughty Dog. Likewise, Knowland's future plans are still unknown.
Followers of Naughty Dog are understandably wondering why there have been a lot of exits lately among its employees in a short span of time. Additionally on April 21, Todd Stashwick, a voice over to video game "Uncharted 4" has revealed that his role has been recast. He now works with Hennig on the production of the upcoming "Star Wars" game in Visceral Games.
Twitter has caught on the news of Michael Knowland's departure from Naughty Dog and followers have mixed reactions.
Apparently Michael Knowlend, (Lead dev at Naughty Dog) left their studio, or will be. Seems to be a trend lately.— Brotatoe (@TwitchBrotatoe) April 29, 2014
Getting sick of the "news" of employee turnover at Naughty Dog, devs jump ship all the time/want to work on new things. It's not news. — Jobye-Kyle Karmaker (@jobyek) April 28, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- Windows Phone 8.1 for Nokia Lumia 1520: How to Downgrade to Get Lumia Cyan Update for Preview for Developers
- Minecraft 1.8 Snapshot 14w30c Released; Partnership with Lego to Reveal Toys This Fall
- HTC One M8: Red and Pink Colour Choices Confirmed in the UK, Pre-Orders on Android Smartphone Now Available with Free Dot View Case
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Breakdown for Developer and Unlocked Version
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide