U.S. President Obama Lauds Filipino Boxing Champ Manny Pacquiao in Monday’s State Dinner
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 30, 2014 8:55 AM EST
Everyone who was politically important was in the state dinner on Monday night for visiting U.S. President Barack Obama. But the main guest appears to had noticed someone he knows personally missing - Filipino boxing champion Manny Pacquiao.
U.S. President Barack Obama offers a toast as he attends a State Dinner with President Benigno Aquino (R) of the Philippines at the Malacanang Palace in Manila, April 28, 2014. Obama said a new military pact signed with the Philippineson Monday granting a larger presence for U.S. forces would bolster the Southeast Asian country's maritime security, but was not aimed at countering China's growing military might. REUTERS/Larry Downing (PHILIPPINES - Tags: POLITICS)
And the president did not let the occasion pass without mentioning his admiration for the eight-division title holder whom he has personally met in the White House during a courtesy call by the boxer.
Mr Obama said, quoted by Spin.ph, "There is our mutual admiration for Manny Pacquiao, even if sometimes, his fights against Americans do not turn out the way we'd like."
Pacquiao, being not just a folk hero but also a sitting congressman and fresh from his victory against erstwhile undefeated American boxer Timothy Bradley, it is a little bit puzzling why he was not at the state dinner.
Observers could only guess that he was either not invited or he is too busy since his wife Jinkee, the current vice governor of Sarangani province, gave birth on Sunday to their fifth child - a boy whom the couple named Israel.
The Web site noted that selected athletes too had been invited to the state dinner, one of which was Fil-Am basketballer Gabe Norwood from the Rain or Shine team, said to be a look-alike of the American president.
Norwood was grateful for the once-in-a lifetime opportunity as posted in his Instagram account @GNorwood5 a photo of the invitation from the Office of the President.
Also present during the dinner were the four sisters of the bachelor Philippine president, Benigno Aquino III, including his youngest and controversial sibling, TV host and actress Kris Aquino who was in a purple gown.
News of Kris attending the state dinner generated interest among some Filipinos in Twitter as they expressed apprehension if she would open her mouth and cause embarrassment to her brother.
Bri Lu @_brrayyy tweeted, "Please don't let Obama die of heat stroke or left unattended with Kris Aquino," followed by Sophie @sowpia who urged, "Don't let Kris Aquino interview President Obama or else all the US-PH agreements will turn into arguments."
Thankfully, she behaved, although that itself also led to some tweets on Tuesday.
Rona Ortega @RIBAAAA wrote, "Thank you Malacanang for not letting Kris Aquino near Obama."
WhatAWasteofAdMoney @wawam added, "we can all give a sigh of relief, Kris Aquino did not do anything embarrassing yesterday during the Obama dinner. TY kris."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier