Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Apple iPhone 5s: Which 5 Should You Get?
By Precious Silva | April 30, 2014 8:52 AM EST
Apple and Samsung have been competing against each other particularly in the smartphone arena. Samsung just released its Samsung Galaxy S5 while Apple's iPhone 5s remains in stores. Users looking for a good smartphone to purchase can take a look at these choices. Which is the better choice? It depends on what the user is looking for.
A new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone is displayed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 23, 2014. Samsung Electronics unveiled a new smart watch and fitness band along with the latest version of its flagship Galaxy smartphone on Monday, demonstrating how the battleground for innovation is shifting from the hand to the wrist.Picture taken on February 23. REUTERS/Albert Gea
The Galaxy S5 is less fancy compared to previous models. Nonetheless, the device still offers some incredible features including a heart rate monitor and a fingerprint sensor. The S5 offers a bigger display compared to the iPhone 5s. It also has water-resistant body allowing users more ways and places to use the device.
Analysts feel that Apple's iPhone 5s is starting to age. The device runs on a 64-bit processor with fingerprint reader. Apple has also improved the camera through larger pixels. Unless Apple releases another smartphone this year, the iPhone 5s may lose its appeal to users over time. Consumers are naturally drawn to newer devices and Samsung Galaxy S5 has that edge. However, this is not the sole basis for choosing the right handset. In terms of functionality, Apple's iPhone 5s can compete with the Samsung Galaxy S5.
The iPhone 5s and the Galaxy S5 have very different design formats. The S5 is larger featuring a plastic body and a subtle dotted pattern. The iPhone 5s, on other hand, features a smaller, more compact aluminum body. The body also sports polished edges. As for the overall appeal, the iPhone 5s is the winner for its premium design.
The iPhone 5s is also smaller and lighter. The device measures 4.9 x 2.3 x .3 inches and weighs 4 ounces. The S5 measures 5.3 x 2.9 x .25 inches and weighs 5.1 ounces. The iPhone 5s is better with one hand operation whereas the S5 may require two.
Size and Quality
Users looking for viewing advantage may find the Samsung Galaxy S5 a better choice with its larger display. It does not compact the screen so searching the internet, viewing photos and similar activities should be better.
The iPhone 5s, on other hand, provide more accurate colors. The device posted 0.05 for its Delta-E score. In this measure, the lower numbers, the better. The Samsung Galaxy S5 posted 0.9 under the same test.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change