‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Updates: Cast Revealed, Shooting to Begin Soon, Release Date
By Anshu Shrivastava | April 30, 2014 7:58 AM EST
The intense speculation time is over. Disney has announced the cast of "Star Wars: Episode VII." John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will be joining the original "Star Wars" stars in the new film.
Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker, from the original team, will be returning to reprise their roles in the new film. Deadline has reported that Ford has "a gigantic role in the first of the next three films."
According to The Daily Beast's report, there are rumours that Adam Driver is likely to play "a Darth Vader-like antagonist" while Boyega will be seen as a "Han Solo-esque rebel." Also, it is expected that descendents of Luke Skywalker's Jedi mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi and the offspring of Han Solo and Princess Leia may feature in the new film of the "Star Wars" franchise.
Directed by J.J. Abrams, "Star Wars: Episode VII" is reportedly set 30 years after the events of "Star Wars VI: The Return of Jedi," which was released in 1983.
"We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII," Abrams said in a statement. "It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again."
Abrams said that they begin shooting in a couple of weeks. He added, "everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud." The Hollywood Reporter had reported that the shooting, which is set to begin in May, will take place at Pinewood Studios, London.
"Star Wars: Episode VII" is scheduled to hit the screens on December 18, 2015.
In 2012, Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4 billion. "For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next. It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers," Lucas, chairman and CEO of Lucasfilm, had said in a statement at the time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best