‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Updates: Cast Revealed, Shooting to Begin Soon, Release Date
By Anshu Shrivastava | April 30, 2014 7:58 AM EST
The intense speculation time is over. Disney has announced the cast of "Star Wars: Episode VII." John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will be joining the original "Star Wars" stars in the new film.
Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker, from the original team, will be returning to reprise their roles in the new film. Deadline has reported that Ford has "a gigantic role in the first of the next three films."
According to The Daily Beast's report, there are rumours that Adam Driver is likely to play "a Darth Vader-like antagonist" while Boyega will be seen as a "Han Solo-esque rebel." Also, it is expected that descendents of Luke Skywalker's Jedi mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi and the offspring of Han Solo and Princess Leia may feature in the new film of the "Star Wars" franchise.
Directed by J.J. Abrams, "Star Wars: Episode VII" is reportedly set 30 years after the events of "Star Wars VI: The Return of Jedi," which was released in 1983.
"We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII," Abrams said in a statement. "It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again."
Abrams said that they begin shooting in a couple of weeks. He added, "everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud." The Hollywood Reporter had reported that the shooting, which is set to begin in May, will take place at Pinewood Studios, London.
"Star Wars: Episode VII" is scheduled to hit the screens on December 18, 2015.
In 2012, Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4 billion. "For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next. It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers," Lucas, chairman and CEO of Lucasfilm, had said in a statement at the time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier