‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Updates: Cast Revealed, Shooting to Begin Soon, Release Date
By Anshu Shrivastava | April 30, 2014 7:58 AM EST
The intense speculation time is over. Disney has announced the cast of "Star Wars: Episode VII." John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will be joining the original "Star Wars" stars in the new film.
Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker, from the original team, will be returning to reprise their roles in the new film. Deadline has reported that Ford has "a gigantic role in the first of the next three films."
According to The Daily Beast's report, there are rumours that Adam Driver is likely to play "a Darth Vader-like antagonist" while Boyega will be seen as a "Han Solo-esque rebel." Also, it is expected that descendents of Luke Skywalker's Jedi mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi and the offspring of Han Solo and Princess Leia may feature in the new film of the "Star Wars" franchise.
Directed by J.J. Abrams, "Star Wars: Episode VII" is reportedly set 30 years after the events of "Star Wars VI: The Return of Jedi," which was released in 1983.
"We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII," Abrams said in a statement. "It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again."
Abrams said that they begin shooting in a couple of weeks. He added, "everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud." The Hollywood Reporter had reported that the shooting, which is set to begin in May, will take place at Pinewood Studios, London.
"Star Wars: Episode VII" is scheduled to hit the screens on December 18, 2015.
In 2012, Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4 billion. "For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next. It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers," Lucas, chairman and CEO of Lucasfilm, had said in a statement at the time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks