‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Updates: Cast Revealed, Shooting to Begin Soon, Release Date
By Anshu Shrivastava | April 30, 2014 7:58 AM EST
The intense speculation time is over. Disney has announced the cast of "Star Wars: Episode VII." John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will be joining the original "Star Wars" stars in the new film.
Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker, from the original team, will be returning to reprise their roles in the new film. Deadline has reported that Ford has "a gigantic role in the first of the next three films."
According to The Daily Beast's report, there are rumours that Adam Driver is likely to play "a Darth Vader-like antagonist" while Boyega will be seen as a "Han Solo-esque rebel." Also, it is expected that descendents of Luke Skywalker's Jedi mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi and the offspring of Han Solo and Princess Leia may feature in the new film of the "Star Wars" franchise.
Directed by J.J. Abrams, "Star Wars: Episode VII" is reportedly set 30 years after the events of "Star Wars VI: The Return of Jedi," which was released in 1983.
"We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII," Abrams said in a statement. "It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again."
Abrams said that they begin shooting in a couple of weeks. He added, "everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud." The Hollywood Reporter had reported that the shooting, which is set to begin in May, will take place at Pinewood Studios, London.
"Star Wars: Episode VII" is scheduled to hit the screens on December 18, 2015.
In 2012, Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4 billion. "For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next. It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers," Lucas, chairman and CEO of Lucasfilm, had said in a statement at the time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS