NBA Rumors: Did Magic Johnson Use V. Stiviano To Set-Up Donald Sterling and Realize Plan to Buy L.A Clippers? Theory Gaining Steam
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 30, 2014 6:24 AM EST
The NBA dropped the hammer hard on Clippers owner Donald Sterling by slapping him a $2.5 million fine and a life-time ban for his racially-sensitive comments. Then again, the controversy doesn't end there as a suspicion of a grand setup might have just happened.
Johnson is buying the Los Angeles Dodgers from owner Frank McCourt for a record $2 billion, yet another chapter in the life of a perennial comeback kid and a sign that the Dodgers are in good hands. Take a look back at Johnson's tumultuous but ultimately legendary career in our timeline of the American icon here, and see how his struggles in the past could help the L.A. Dodgers in the future.
On Tuesday, NBA commissioner Adam Silver revealed the league's decision to place the harshest punishment under the NBA constitution on Sterling after verifying the authenticity of the audio tapes, which contains racially discriminating words directed towards Afro-American people.
"The central findings of the investigation are that the man whose voice is on the recordings ... is Mr. Sterling and that the hateful feelings are those of Mr. Sterling. The views expressed by Mr. Sterling are deeply disturbing and alarming," Silver said during a news conference Tuesday via USA Today.
Sterling's alleged girlfriend V. Stiviano reported cooperated with the league in the investigation and confirmed that it is indeed the Clippers owner's voice on the audio recording.
"The woman on the recording cooperated with the NBA, as did a third person who was in the room when the tape was made, a source told ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne. The woman verified to the league that it was her and Sterling on the tapes, according to the source," according to ESPN on Tuesday.
Magic's Grand Plan?
NBA's decision to ban Sterling for line and plan to force him to sell the Clippers franchise has been embraced tremendously by its players and basketball fans around the world. However, there are some who suspected the whole thing is a set-up for Magic Johnson and his backers, the Guggenheim Partners, to buy the Clippers.
On Tuesday's edition of the Rush Limbaugh show, a Dallas-based caller came up with an intriguing theory behind the Sterling's controversy. The caller believed Magic Johnson and his group used V. Stiviano girlfriend to set up Sterling and put him on the hot seat.
Limbaugh did not provide a clear stance on the caller's suspicion, but he did come up with an interesting take for his listeners to ponder upon.
"Folks, there's an intricate web being woven here. This sugar babe (Sterling's mistress) is all over L.A. sports! She's with Sterling...she's with Magic... This whole thing is coming together so clearly," Limbaugh said.
Well, the caller's theory is certainly intriguing. After all, Magic indeed expressed his intention to expand his sports empire beyond the Dodgers, and he has now become the frontrunner to buy the Clippers franchise, which is expected to on sale for over $1 billion.
However, accusation should be proven with clear evidences. Without it, a theory will be nothing more but hearsay.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More