Tennis News 2014: Rafael Nadal in Huge Trouble; Clay-Court Dynasty Already Crumbling
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 30, 2014 5:00 AM EST
Rafael Nadal's struggle on clay has been a big story in the tennis world as of late. For the first time in his career, the impregnable Mallorcan Bulls has apparently turned into a mortal after failing to make the finals of two high-profile clay court tournaments.
Rafael Nadal is keen to move ahead in the quest for his ninth title in Barcelona.
Nadal, who is gunning for a record ninth French Open title next month, is surprisingly playing below expectations this past few weeks. His quarterfinals losses against Nicolas Almagro (Barcelona Open) and David Ferrer (Monte Carlo Masters) have certainly casted a dark cloud on his ability to stay dominant in his most favorite court surfaces.
Moreover, the 27-year old Spaniard admitted that he's currently experiencing a drop in confidence level, just a year after racking up 10 titles - including two Grand Slam championships (US and French Open crowns).
"I started the season okay except for some lack of confidence and competitiveness in important moments of certain matches," Nadal told ESPN days before the Barcelona Open.
"I've faced adversities throughout my career, and this is just another one. All my rivals are dangerous. Every one of them, I always go out there to play knowing that I can win or lose."
There's also a concern about his capacity to defend his status as the top netter in the world. According to Carl Bialik of Five Thirty Eight, Nadal had already suffered back-to-back setbacks on clay twice before and he responded with a long clay-winning streak in both occasions.
However, with the emergence of Djokovic and Stanislas Wawrinka, Nadal is perhaps in for the most challenging clay-court season in his career.
"Twice in his nine-year run of dominance, Nadal lost on clay in consecutive tournaments: in 2009, to [Robin] Soderling and [Roger] Federer; and in 2011, twice to [Novak] Djokovic. Immediately after each pair of losses, Nadal went on big clay-winning streaks: 37 straight matches after his 2009 rut, and 22 straight starting in 2011," Bialik stated in his article.
"He may need another such run to maintain his No. 1 ranking: His lead over Djokovic is fewer than 2,000 points, and Nadal has 4,000 points to defend in his next three tournaments. Djokovic has just 910 points to defend during that span."
Nadal is scheduled to play in the upcoming Matua Madrid Open, where he is three-time champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers