Black Money: Government Reveals Names of 18 Account Holders in German Bank to Supreme Court
By Rama Mohan | April 30, 2014 12:37 AM EST
The Union government on 29 April submitted the names of 26 account holders of the Liechtenstein Bank in Germany to the Supreme Court. Last week, the government was taken to a task by the apex court for its lethargy in the initiative on the black money case.
Supreme Court of India (A Reuters file photo)
Media reports said that the government has handed over two shield covers containing the names of the 26 account holders in the Liechtenstein Bank. The government has procured the names from the German government. There was no proof of any wrongdoing against eight of the the 26 account holders, the government has told the court.
The government's investigation pertaining to income tax (IT) into the remaining 18 account holders has been over and further prosecution against them has taken, the government explained to the court. One among the 18 account holders has died, the government added.
However, the government insisted not to entrust the case to a Special Investigation Team (SIT). The Supreme Court had asked the government in 2011 for a SIT probe into the case.
The Supreme Court has posted the case to Thursday, 1 May.
In 2009, the government had received information about 12 trusts which have opened accounts in the German bank. The 12 trusts involve the names of the 26 Indian individuals.
The government told the court that information about the account holders can be used only for tax purpose, as per an agreement with the German government. Now it has disclosed the names of the account holders in the bank, as per the Supreme Court's order.
In July 2011, the apex court had asked the government to submit the names of the account holders in the Liechtenstein Bank.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet