Black Money: Government Reveals Names of 18 Account Holders in German Bank to Supreme Court
By Rama Mohan | April 30, 2014 12:37 AM EST
The Union government on 29 April submitted the names of 26 account holders of the Liechtenstein Bank in Germany to the Supreme Court. Last week, the government was taken to a task by the apex court for its lethargy in the initiative on the black money case.
Media reports said that the government has handed over two shield covers containing the names of the 26 account holders in the Liechtenstein Bank. The government has procured the names from the German government. There was no proof of any wrongdoing against eight of the the 26 account holders, the government has told the court.
The government's investigation pertaining to income tax (IT) into the remaining 18 account holders has been over and further prosecution against them has taken, the government explained to the court. One among the 18 account holders has died, the government added.
However, the government insisted not to entrust the case to a Special Investigation Team (SIT). The Supreme Court had asked the government in 2011 for a SIT probe into the case.
The Supreme Court has posted the case to Thursday, 1 May.
In 2009, the government had received information about 12 trusts which have opened accounts in the German bank. The 12 trusts involve the names of the 26 Indian individuals.
The government told the court that information about the account holders can be used only for tax purpose, as per an agreement with the German government. Now it has disclosed the names of the account holders in the bank, as per the Supreme Court's order.
In July 2011, the apex court had asked the government to submit the names of the account holders in the Liechtenstein Bank.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports