Black Money: Government Reveals Names of 18 Account Holders in German Bank to Supreme Court
By Rama Mohan | April 30, 2014 12:37 AM EST
The Union government on 29 April submitted the names of 26 account holders of the Liechtenstein Bank in Germany to the Supreme Court. Last week, the government was taken to a task by the apex court for its lethargy in the initiative on the black money case.
Media reports said that the government has handed over two shield covers containing the names of the 26 account holders in the Liechtenstein Bank. The government has procured the names from the German government. There was no proof of any wrongdoing against eight of the the 26 account holders, the government has told the court.
The government's investigation pertaining to income tax (IT) into the remaining 18 account holders has been over and further prosecution against them has taken, the government explained to the court. One among the 18 account holders has died, the government added.
However, the government insisted not to entrust the case to a Special Investigation Team (SIT). The Supreme Court had asked the government in 2011 for a SIT probe into the case.
The Supreme Court has posted the case to Thursday, 1 May.
In 2009, the government had received information about 12 trusts which have opened accounts in the German bank. The 12 trusts involve the names of the 26 Indian individuals.
The government told the court that information about the account holders can be used only for tax purpose, as per an agreement with the German government. Now it has disclosed the names of the account holders in the bank, as per the Supreme Court's order.
In July 2011, the apex court had asked the government to submit the names of the account holders in the Liechtenstein Bank.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- New Zealand PM John Key Aware of Kiwis Joining ISIS; New Zealand Not Ready For Airstrikes
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate