Arkansas Videos Tornado: Reactions on YouTube and Twitter [WATCH VIDEOS]
By Tanya Diente | April 29, 2014 11:22 PM EST
On April 28, 2014 a massive tornado slammed the state of Arkansas. Mayflower and Vilonia were among the cities badly damaged. At least 16 people were reported dead as of early Monday morning and raised to 18 on the later part of the day. Among the dead were eight adults and two children in Faulkner County, five people in Pulaski County and one in White County. Most of the dead were killed in their homes.The death toll is expected to rise as the search for survivors is still ongoing.
The path of a tornado is seen in this aerial image near Vilonia, Arkansas April 28, 2014. A ferocious storm system caused a twister in Mississippi and threatened tens of millions of people across the U.S. Southeast on Monday, a day after it spawned tornadoes that killed 16 people and tossed cars like toys in Arkansas and other states.
The tornado that hit Arkansas tossed and toppled large trucks like toys. Sedans, pickup trucks and even an intermediate school worth $14 million that was set to open this fall were damaged. Houses are unrecognizable as only debris is seen scattered about.
"This storm was much stronger. The devastation was just tremendous," Vilonia Mayor James Firestone told ABC's "Good Morning America" early Monday.
Brandon Morris, a spokesman for the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management, said that as of now the primary focus is life safety and making sure that everyone is accounted for. Morris added that officials are also looking into the environmental impact of the tornado, by checking that electrical supply is cut for the mean time to avoid any fire or further deaths. Crews of the Emergency Management Department are continuously sifting through the rubble in hopes of finding survivors and to assess the damage brought on by the tornado.
Currently, there is no accurate headcount of injured people as safety of the survivors was prioritized.
"We don't have a count on injuries or missing. We're trying to get a handle on the missing part," Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe said.
However nearby Conway Regional Medical Center said it has treated about 100 people injured from the storm. A medical triage area has also been opened in a parking lot of a Mayflower home-improvement store to treat injured people. Likewise, two emergency shelters have been opened by the American Red Cross to help those residents displaced by the tornado.
There is no storm rating released yet for the tornado that hit Mayflower and Vilonia. However, National Weather Service meteorologist Jeff Hood said that it would likely be rated as the strongest to date this year. The tornado has a potential to be at least an EF3 storm with winds greater than 136 mph. According to the Associated Press, The United States had not had a tornado rated EF3 or higher since Nov. 17, 2013.
— Adam Rappold (@rappadam18) April 29, 2014
Hometown still needs prayers guys. This is jus the beginning. Vilonia WILL bounce back from this. Its jus gonna take time. #ArkansaStrong — Shelby Townsley (@Old_Vilonia_Boy) April 29, 2014
— Sidney Dennis (@DenniSidney) April 28, 2014
Below are videos capturing the devastations brought on by the tornado that hit Arkansas . Survivors recount the ordeal of tornado.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015