Arkansas Videos Tornado: Reactions on YouTube and Twitter [WATCH VIDEOS]
By Tanya Diente | April 29, 2014 11:22 PM EST
On April 28, 2014 a massive tornado slammed the state of Arkansas. Mayflower and Vilonia were among the cities badly damaged. At least 16 people were reported dead as of early Monday morning and raised to 18 on the later part of the day. Among the dead were eight adults and two children in Faulkner County, five people in Pulaski County and one in White County. Most of the dead were killed in their homes.The death toll is expected to rise as the search for survivors is still ongoing.
The path of a tornado is seen in this aerial image near Vilonia, Arkansas April 28, 2014. A ferocious storm system caused a twister in Mississippi and threatened tens of millions of people across the U.S. Southeast on Monday, a day after it spawned tornadoes that killed 16 people and tossed cars like toys in Arkansas and other states.
The tornado that hit Arkansas tossed and toppled large trucks like toys. Sedans, pickup trucks and even an intermediate school worth $14 million that was set to open this fall were damaged. Houses are unrecognizable as only debris is seen scattered about.
"This storm was much stronger. The devastation was just tremendous," Vilonia Mayor James Firestone told ABC's "Good Morning America" early Monday.
Brandon Morris, a spokesman for the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management, said that as of now the primary focus is life safety and making sure that everyone is accounted for. Morris added that officials are also looking into the environmental impact of the tornado, by checking that electrical supply is cut for the mean time to avoid any fire or further deaths. Crews of the Emergency Management Department are continuously sifting through the rubble in hopes of finding survivors and to assess the damage brought on by the tornado.
Currently, there is no accurate headcount of injured people as safety of the survivors was prioritized.
"We don't have a count on injuries or missing. We're trying to get a handle on the missing part," Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe said.
However nearby Conway Regional Medical Center said it has treated about 100 people injured from the storm. A medical triage area has also been opened in a parking lot of a Mayflower home-improvement store to treat injured people. Likewise, two emergency shelters have been opened by the American Red Cross to help those residents displaced by the tornado.
There is no storm rating released yet for the tornado that hit Mayflower and Vilonia. However, National Weather Service meteorologist Jeff Hood said that it would likely be rated as the strongest to date this year. The tornado has a potential to be at least an EF3 storm with winds greater than 136 mph. According to the Associated Press, The United States had not had a tornado rated EF3 or higher since Nov. 17, 2013.
— Adam Rappold (@rappadam18) April 29, 2014
Hometown still needs prayers guys. This is jus the beginning. Vilonia WILL bounce back from this. Its jus gonna take time. #ArkansaStrong — Shelby Townsley (@Old_Vilonia_Boy) April 29, 2014
— Sidney Dennis (@DenniSidney) April 28, 2014
Below are videos capturing the devastations brought on by the tornado that hit Arkansas . Survivors recount the ordeal of tornado.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28