Formula 1 News: Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg Hopes to Continue Good 2014 Start
By Tarish Bhat | April 29, 2014 10:47 PM EST
Sahara Force India have had a solid start to the 2014 Formula 1 season, scoring 54 points in the first four races. Foce India's German driver Nico Hulkenberg is hoping to continue his strong start when F1 hits the European leg.
Force India has a best-ever start of its Formula 1 campaign, scoring 54 points in first four races.
The Silverstone-based outfit have enjoyed its best start to the season, beating teams like Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren regularly and is currently placed on third position in the constructors' table.
Sergio Perez scored the team's second podium in Bahrain finishing third behind the Mercedes duo of Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, but Hulkenberg - fourth in the drivers' standings with 36 points - has impressed everyone with his consistence.
The German is surprised with his team's performance in the early part of the season and said no one had expected such a strong start after winter testing.
"I didn't expect it and I don't think you could have expected it as well," Hulkenberg said. "Winter testing was good, but not that good. To come away with so many points is a big achievement."
The highly-rated German added the team is determined to keep up the development work throughout the season to avoid losing its competitive edge over its rivals.
"I don't see any obvious reason why we shouldn't be able to carry the good momentum, but like every year in Formula 1 it's pretty much a development race - you've got to keep bringing performance," Hulkenberg said.
Hulkenberg believes Force India is in a good position even though it operates in a significantly smaller budget compared to big teams like Ferrari and Red Bull.
"Maybe at the later point in the season the big teams with the bigger budgets will have more of an advantage, but I see ourselves in a very good position," he added.
The 26-year-old, who raced for Sauber last season, said the team is utilising the break before the European leg and planning to bring a few updates for the Spanish Grand Prix.
"The factory is working hard to bring more performance to the car. We had some aero parts in Shanghai and the plan is for some more in Barcelona," the German said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports