iPhone 6 Release Date: Apple's Flagship Smartphone Expected to be as Thin as iPod Touch [VIDEO]
By Raymond Ronamai | April 29, 2014 9:58 PM EST
Apple Inc. hasn't uttered a word on its upcoming smartphone, dubbed as iPhone 6, but speculations on its release date and features keep surfacing. The latest we heard is that the flagship device would be as thin as the iPod Touch.
Screenshot from Unbox Therapy
The fifth generation iPod touch, which measures just 6.1mm, fits perfectly into the purported case of iPhone 6 in terms of depth, according to a video by Unbox Therapy, suggesting that the two devices would be similar in thickness.
The hands-on comparison video was uploaded just a few days after Unbox Therapy showcased the purported case of the 4.7-inch model iPhone 6 in a 7:30-minute video, hinting that it would be thinner than the iPhone 5 and Nexus 5.
Interestingly, a report by UkrainianiPhone claimed that iPhone 6 will sport a 4.7-inch display with rounded edges, a 67-millimeter-by-138-millimeter footprint, and an ultra-thin 6 millimeter cross-section. The dimension of iPhone 6 is 138 x 67 x 6, according to the information given in the picture, which means it will be 1.6mm thinner than iPhone 5S, 2.1mm thinner than Galaxy S5 and 3.4mm thinner than HTC One M8.
Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times (Google translate) also reported that iPhone 6 bigger model or iPhone Air would have battery measuring just 2mm (0.08inch) or less, as against 2.8 to 2.9mm seen in usual smartphones in order to fit into the ultra-thin design of the device.
The Cupertino giant is expected to launch two variants of iPhone 6, a 4.7-inch and a 5.5-inch model this fall. Nikkei claimed that the device would be unveiled as early as September, and a research note from UBS Managing Director Steve Milunovich (via Barron's) had also suggested that the 4.7-inch model of iPhone 6 would be launched either in August or September, while the 5.5-inch version may or may not be released at the same time. Reuters reported, citing sources from the supply chain, that the 4.7-inch screen model would be unveiled this autumn.
iPhone 6 is expected to come in two models with full scratch-free sapphire crystal glass screen. The devices may sport a 4.7/4.8 inch or 5.5 inch display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi), powered by the A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities. It also may introduce sensors that can detect pressure, temperature and humidity, according to a post by Chinese analyst Sun Chang Xu had posted on her Weibo page.
(Image Credit: Screenshot from Unbox Therapy Video)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- ‘World Of Warcraft’ Extends The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff Until The ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Pre-Patch 6.0.2 Release After Updating The 6.0.2 Public Test Realm Patch Notes [WATCH VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers