iPhone 6 Release Date: Apple's Flagship Smartphone Expected to be as Thin as iPod Touch [VIDEO]
By Raymond Ronamai | April 29, 2014 9:58 PM EST
Apple Inc. hasn't uttered a word on its upcoming smartphone, dubbed as iPhone 6, but speculations on its release date and features keep surfacing. The latest we heard is that the flagship device would be as thin as the iPod Touch.
Screenshot from Unbox Therapy
The fifth generation iPod touch, which measures just 6.1mm, fits perfectly into the purported case of iPhone 6 in terms of depth, according to a video by Unbox Therapy, suggesting that the two devices would be similar in thickness.
The hands-on comparison video was uploaded just a few days after Unbox Therapy showcased the purported case of the 4.7-inch model iPhone 6 in a 7:30-minute video, hinting that it would be thinner than the iPhone 5 and Nexus 5.
Interestingly, a report by UkrainianiPhone claimed that iPhone 6 will sport a 4.7-inch display with rounded edges, a 67-millimeter-by-138-millimeter footprint, and an ultra-thin 6 millimeter cross-section. The dimension of iPhone 6 is 138 x 67 x 6, according to the information given in the picture, which means it will be 1.6mm thinner than iPhone 5S, 2.1mm thinner than Galaxy S5 and 3.4mm thinner than HTC One M8.
Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times (Google translate) also reported that iPhone 6 bigger model or iPhone Air would have battery measuring just 2mm (0.08inch) or less, as against 2.8 to 2.9mm seen in usual smartphones in order to fit into the ultra-thin design of the device.
The Cupertino giant is expected to launch two variants of iPhone 6, a 4.7-inch and a 5.5-inch model this fall. Nikkei claimed that the device would be unveiled as early as September, and a research note from UBS Managing Director Steve Milunovich (via Barron's) had also suggested that the 4.7-inch model of iPhone 6 would be launched either in August or September, while the 5.5-inch version may or may not be released at the same time. Reuters reported, citing sources from the supply chain, that the 4.7-inch screen model would be unveiled this autumn.
iPhone 6 is expected to come in two models with full scratch-free sapphire crystal glass screen. The devices may sport a 4.7/4.8 inch or 5.5 inch display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi), powered by the A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities. It also may introduce sensors that can detect pressure, temperature and humidity, according to a post by Chinese analyst Sun Chang Xu had posted on her Weibo page.
(Image Credit: Screenshot from Unbox Therapy Video)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch