iPhone 6 Release Date: Apple's Flagship Smartphone Expected to be as Thin as iPod Touch [VIDEO]
By Raymond Ronamai | April 29, 2014 9:58 PM EST
Apple Inc. hasn't uttered a word on its upcoming smartphone, dubbed as iPhone 6, but speculations on its release date and features keep surfacing. The latest we heard is that the flagship device would be as thin as the iPod Touch.
Screenshot from Unbox Therapy
The fifth generation iPod touch, which measures just 6.1mm, fits perfectly into the purported case of iPhone 6 in terms of depth, according to a video by Unbox Therapy, suggesting that the two devices would be similar in thickness.
The hands-on comparison video was uploaded just a few days after Unbox Therapy showcased the purported case of the 4.7-inch model iPhone 6 in a 7:30-minute video, hinting that it would be thinner than the iPhone 5 and Nexus 5.
Interestingly, a report by UkrainianiPhone claimed that iPhone 6 will sport a 4.7-inch display with rounded edges, a 67-millimeter-by-138-millimeter footprint, and an ultra-thin 6 millimeter cross-section. The dimension of iPhone 6 is 138 x 67 x 6, according to the information given in the picture, which means it will be 1.6mm thinner than iPhone 5S, 2.1mm thinner than Galaxy S5 and 3.4mm thinner than HTC One M8.
Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times (Google translate) also reported that iPhone 6 bigger model or iPhone Air would have battery measuring just 2mm (0.08inch) or less, as against 2.8 to 2.9mm seen in usual smartphones in order to fit into the ultra-thin design of the device.
The Cupertino giant is expected to launch two variants of iPhone 6, a 4.7-inch and a 5.5-inch model this fall. Nikkei claimed that the device would be unveiled as early as September, and a research note from UBS Managing Director Steve Milunovich (via Barron's) had also suggested that the 4.7-inch model of iPhone 6 would be launched either in August or September, while the 5.5-inch version may or may not be released at the same time. Reuters reported, citing sources from the supply chain, that the 4.7-inch screen model would be unveiled this autumn.
iPhone 6 is expected to come in two models with full scratch-free sapphire crystal glass screen. The devices may sport a 4.7/4.8 inch or 5.5 inch display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi), powered by the A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities. It also may introduce sensors that can detect pressure, temperature and humidity, according to a post by Chinese analyst Sun Chang Xu had posted on her Weibo page.
(Image Credit: Screenshot from Unbox Therapy Video)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition': Romancing Solas, Morrigan's Human Side And Dragon Age Keep User Interface
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones