iPhone 6 Release Date: Apple's Flagship Smartphone Expected to be as Thin as iPod Touch [VIDEO]
By Raymond Ronamai | April 29, 2014 9:58 PM EST
Apple Inc. hasn't uttered a word on its upcoming smartphone, dubbed as iPhone 6, but speculations on its release date and features keep surfacing. The latest we heard is that the flagship device would be as thin as the iPod Touch.
Screenshot from Unbox Therapy
The fifth generation iPod touch, which measures just 6.1mm, fits perfectly into the purported case of iPhone 6 in terms of depth, according to a video by Unbox Therapy, suggesting that the two devices would be similar in thickness.
The hands-on comparison video was uploaded just a few days after Unbox Therapy showcased the purported case of the 4.7-inch model iPhone 6 in a 7:30-minute video, hinting that it would be thinner than the iPhone 5 and Nexus 5.
Interestingly, a report by UkrainianiPhone claimed that iPhone 6 will sport a 4.7-inch display with rounded edges, a 67-millimeter-by-138-millimeter footprint, and an ultra-thin 6 millimeter cross-section. The dimension of iPhone 6 is 138 x 67 x 6, according to the information given in the picture, which means it will be 1.6mm thinner than iPhone 5S, 2.1mm thinner than Galaxy S5 and 3.4mm thinner than HTC One M8.
Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times (Google translate) also reported that iPhone 6 bigger model or iPhone Air would have battery measuring just 2mm (0.08inch) or less, as against 2.8 to 2.9mm seen in usual smartphones in order to fit into the ultra-thin design of the device.
The Cupertino giant is expected to launch two variants of iPhone 6, a 4.7-inch and a 5.5-inch model this fall. Nikkei claimed that the device would be unveiled as early as September, and a research note from UBS Managing Director Steve Milunovich (via Barron's) had also suggested that the 4.7-inch model of iPhone 6 would be launched either in August or September, while the 5.5-inch version may or may not be released at the same time. Reuters reported, citing sources from the supply chain, that the 4.7-inch screen model would be unveiled this autumn.
iPhone 6 is expected to come in two models with full scratch-free sapphire crystal glass screen. The devices may sport a 4.7/4.8 inch or 5.5 inch display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi), powered by the A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities. It also may introduce sensors that can detect pressure, temperature and humidity, according to a post by Chinese analyst Sun Chang Xu had posted on her Weibo page.
(Image Credit: Screenshot from Unbox Therapy Video)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
- Robin Williams to Be Honoured As A Character In 'World Of Warcraft: Warlords Of Draenor'
- Hypersonic Travel: Can Space Tourism be a Possibility
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko