iPhone 6 Release Date: Apple's Flagship Smartphone Expected to be as Thin as iPod Touch [VIDEO]
By Raymond Ronamai | April 29, 2014 9:58 PM EST
Apple Inc. hasn't uttered a word on its upcoming smartphone, dubbed as iPhone 6, but speculations on its release date and features keep surfacing. The latest we heard is that the flagship device would be as thin as the iPod Touch.
Screenshot from Unbox Therapy
The fifth generation iPod touch, which measures just 6.1mm, fits perfectly into the purported case of iPhone 6 in terms of depth, according to a video by Unbox Therapy, suggesting that the two devices would be similar in thickness.
The hands-on comparison video was uploaded just a few days after Unbox Therapy showcased the purported case of the 4.7-inch model iPhone 6 in a 7:30-minute video, hinting that it would be thinner than the iPhone 5 and Nexus 5.
Interestingly, a report by UkrainianiPhone claimed that iPhone 6 will sport a 4.7-inch display with rounded edges, a 67-millimeter-by-138-millimeter footprint, and an ultra-thin 6 millimeter cross-section. The dimension of iPhone 6 is 138 x 67 x 6, according to the information given in the picture, which means it will be 1.6mm thinner than iPhone 5S, 2.1mm thinner than Galaxy S5 and 3.4mm thinner than HTC One M8.
Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times (Google translate) also reported that iPhone 6 bigger model or iPhone Air would have battery measuring just 2mm (0.08inch) or less, as against 2.8 to 2.9mm seen in usual smartphones in order to fit into the ultra-thin design of the device.
The Cupertino giant is expected to launch two variants of iPhone 6, a 4.7-inch and a 5.5-inch model this fall. Nikkei claimed that the device would be unveiled as early as September, and a research note from UBS Managing Director Steve Milunovich (via Barron's) had also suggested that the 4.7-inch model of iPhone 6 would be launched either in August or September, while the 5.5-inch version may or may not be released at the same time. Reuters reported, citing sources from the supply chain, that the 4.7-inch screen model would be unveiled this autumn.
iPhone 6 is expected to come in two models with full scratch-free sapphire crystal glass screen. The devices may sport a 4.7/4.8 inch or 5.5 inch display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi), powered by the A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities. It also may introduce sensors that can detect pressure, temperature and humidity, according to a post by Chinese analyst Sun Chang Xu had posted on her Weibo page.
(Image Credit: Screenshot from Unbox Therapy Video)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight