International Dance Day 2014: 5 Most Famous Dance Moves; 10 Fun-Facts to Mark the Day
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 29, 2014 6:26 PM EST
International Dance Day is an interesting international observance introduced in 1982 by the International Dance Council (CID), a UNESCO partner NGO, and is celebrated on April 29 every year.
Happy International Dance Day 2014 -- Here are 5 most famous dance moves and 10 fun facts for the occasion. (Photo: Wikimedia Commons/ Barry Goyette)
The day coincides with the birth anniversary of the French dancer and ballet master Jean-Georges Noverre, although the date is not linked to any particular person or form of dance.
The main purpose of the International Dance Day is to attract the attention of the wider public to the art of dance.
In celebration of the Day let us have a look at 5 most famous Dance moves:
1. Moonwalk: Who doesn't know about this? It is a dance move that presents the illusion of the dancer being pulled backwards while making attempts to move forward. The move became popular around the world after Michael Jackson performed it during a performance of "Bille Jean" on the television show "Motown 25: yesterday, Today, Forever" on March 25, 1983.
2. The Hockey Pokey: Also known as hokey cokey, okey cokey, or cokey cokey, it is a participation dance with a distinctive accompanying tune and lyric structure, well known particularly in English-speaking countries.
3. The Hustle: It is a catchall name for some disco dances that were extremely popular in the 1970s. It has some feature in common with Swing Dance, while its basic steps are somewhat similar to the Discofox, which emerged around the same time.
4. The Charleston: This is a famous dance named for the harbor city of Charleston, South Carolina. One of the most popular versions is the 'Tap Charleston' which is thought to have been invented by Leonard Reed, which is the Charleston with breaks into open position to do tap steps.
5. The Robot: Although it would be best done by actual robots, this famous dance move is a constant party favorite all around the world. This move gained fame after Michael Jackson used it while performing 'Dancing Machine' with his brothers.
Here are 10 Fun facts about dance in observance of the International Dance Day 2014:
1. The 'Dancing Plague' of 1518 was a mania that hit France and killed dozens of people through heart attack or exhaustion. The disorder forced people to just dance uncontrollably until they collapsed.
2. The Longest conga dance line was set by 119,986 people in Miami in 1988.
3. Psy's megahit number 'Gangnam Style' has actually killed an English man. He reportedly overexerted himself while imitating Psy!
4. World's first 'Sustainable' Dance floor opened at Club Watt in Rotterdam, Sweden in 2008. It is said that each tile of the room sits on springs that are hooked up to generators. The harder people dance, more the springs are compressed, thereby producing more energy, which runs the LED lights in the floor.
5. Dance includes many superstitions including the expression "break a leg". When you say that to someone before a show, people believe the exact opposite will happen on stage.
6. Hindu religion is considered to be very closely related to dance and music right from the reference of Lord Shiva's Tandav dance to Goddess Saraswati's sweet music of Veena.
7. Capoeira is a mix of dancing and fighting believed to be created by African slaves that were brought in Brazil 300-400 years ago, who were prohibited from practicing martial arts.
8. It is said that Break-dance was first created as a "less lethal" form of fighting between African-American street gangs in 1970s particularly in the Bronx area of New York City.
9. Tango is considered to be the most sensual dance of modern times.
10. Dancers are generally disciplined, focused and high achievers who usually tend to be successful students and hard workers.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine