Heavyweight Boxer Aex Lepai Eyes for Another World Title Championship
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 29, 2014 5:18 PM EST
Australian heavyweight boxer Alex Leapai returned home in Brisbane on Tuesday morning with a warm welcome. Leapai was received by his family members and along with numbers of supporters greeted his return.
Leapai was confident as he looked forward to fight for another heavyweight title. He said his loss against Wladimir Klitschko in Oberhausen, Germany was a bitter experience.
"The Lionheart will rise again ... It was disappointing to lose against Klitschko but he is a great fighter and he was too good for me. He's been unbeaten for 10 years for a good reason. He's one of the best heavyweights ever ... Klitschko knew how to use his reach advantage (18cm) to perfection against me and I couldn't get a chance to land my right hand," Leapai said.
Leapai was the first Australian to fight for the heavyweight title after over 100 years.
The 34-year-old Leapai shot to fame after the stunning victory over Denis Boystov of Russia in November 2013.
Leapai was happy to receive such a warm welcome, and he was more encouraged to win a heavyweight title for Australia.
"It is just great to see that no matter what the result, Australia still supports me ... It's not the end of me, it's just the beginning ... We all get knocked down, you just have to get up and keep going ... Australia, the Lionheart will be back - bigger, badder, stronger," Lepai said at the Brisbane International Airport.
Leapai agreed with the fact that the vast experience and winning record of Klitschko was tough to manage.
Leapai also declared a challenge to American boxer Shannon Briggs, who made a verbal abuse at a press conference on Klitschko and Leapai in Germany.
"I'll be training hard and hopefully get that American over here, the one that called me out, the one that called me a bum, I'm going to bring him out here and let's see what he's got," Leapai added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation