Heavyweight Boxer Aex Lepai Eyes for Another World Title Championship
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 29, 2014 5:18 PM EST
Australian heavyweight boxer Alex Leapai returned home in Brisbane on Tuesday morning with a warm welcome. Leapai was received by his family members and along with numbers of supporters greeted his return.
Leapai was confident as he looked forward to fight for another heavyweight title. He said his loss against Wladimir Klitschko in Oberhausen, Germany was a bitter experience.
"The Lionheart will rise again ... It was disappointing to lose against Klitschko but he is a great fighter and he was too good for me. He's been unbeaten for 10 years for a good reason. He's one of the best heavyweights ever ... Klitschko knew how to use his reach advantage (18cm) to perfection against me and I couldn't get a chance to land my right hand," Leapai said.
Leapai was the first Australian to fight for the heavyweight title after over 100 years.
The 34-year-old Leapai shot to fame after the stunning victory over Denis Boystov of Russia in November 2013.
Leapai was happy to receive such a warm welcome, and he was more encouraged to win a heavyweight title for Australia.
"It is just great to see that no matter what the result, Australia still supports me ... It's not the end of me, it's just the beginning ... We all get knocked down, you just have to get up and keep going ... Australia, the Lionheart will be back - bigger, badder, stronger," Lepai said at the Brisbane International Airport.
Leapai agreed with the fact that the vast experience and winning record of Klitschko was tough to manage.
Leapai also declared a challenge to American boxer Shannon Briggs, who made a verbal abuse at a press conference on Klitschko and Leapai in Germany.
"I'll be training hard and hopefully get that American over here, the one that called me out, the one that called me a bum, I'm going to bring him out here and let's see what he's got," Leapai added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy