Heavyweight Boxer Aex Lepai Eyes for Another World Title Championship
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 29, 2014 5:18 PM EST
Australian heavyweight boxer Alex Leapai returned home in Brisbane on Tuesday morning with a warm welcome. Leapai was received by his family members and along with numbers of supporters greeted his return.
Leapai was confident as he looked forward to fight for another heavyweight title. He said his loss against Wladimir Klitschko in Oberhausen, Germany was a bitter experience.
"The Lionheart will rise again ... It was disappointing to lose against Klitschko but he is a great fighter and he was too good for me. He's been unbeaten for 10 years for a good reason. He's one of the best heavyweights ever ... Klitschko knew how to use his reach advantage (18cm) to perfection against me and I couldn't get a chance to land my right hand," Leapai said.
Leapai was the first Australian to fight for the heavyweight title after over 100 years.
The 34-year-old Leapai shot to fame after the stunning victory over Denis Boystov of Russia in November 2013.
Leapai was happy to receive such a warm welcome, and he was more encouraged to win a heavyweight title for Australia.
"It is just great to see that no matter what the result, Australia still supports me ... It's not the end of me, it's just the beginning ... We all get knocked down, you just have to get up and keep going ... Australia, the Lionheart will be back - bigger, badder, stronger," Lepai said at the Brisbane International Airport.
Leapai agreed with the fact that the vast experience and winning record of Klitschko was tough to manage.
Leapai also declared a challenge to American boxer Shannon Briggs, who made a verbal abuse at a press conference on Klitschko and Leapai in Germany.
"I'll be training hard and hopefully get that American over here, the one that called me out, the one that called me a bum, I'm going to bring him out here and let's see what he's got," Leapai added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People