Heavyweight Boxer Aex Lepai Eyes for Another World Title Championship
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 29, 2014 5:18 PM EST
Australian heavyweight boxer Alex Leapai returned home in Brisbane on Tuesday morning with a warm welcome. Leapai was received by his family members and along with numbers of supporters greeted his return.
Leapai was confident as he looked forward to fight for another heavyweight title. He said his loss against Wladimir Klitschko in Oberhausen, Germany was a bitter experience.
"The Lionheart will rise again ... It was disappointing to lose against Klitschko but he is a great fighter and he was too good for me. He's been unbeaten for 10 years for a good reason. He's one of the best heavyweights ever ... Klitschko knew how to use his reach advantage (18cm) to perfection against me and I couldn't get a chance to land my right hand," Leapai said.
Leapai was the first Australian to fight for the heavyweight title after over 100 years.
The 34-year-old Leapai shot to fame after the stunning victory over Denis Boystov of Russia in November 2013.
Leapai was happy to receive such a warm welcome, and he was more encouraged to win a heavyweight title for Australia.
"It is just great to see that no matter what the result, Australia still supports me ... It's not the end of me, it's just the beginning ... We all get knocked down, you just have to get up and keep going ... Australia, the Lionheart will be back - bigger, badder, stronger," Lepai said at the Brisbane International Airport.
Leapai agreed with the fact that the vast experience and winning record of Klitschko was tough to manage.
Leapai also declared a challenge to American boxer Shannon Briggs, who made a verbal abuse at a press conference on Klitschko and Leapai in Germany.
"I'll be training hard and hopefully get that American over here, the one that called me out, the one that called me a bum, I'm going to bring him out here and let's see what he's got," Leapai added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup