Despite 2.7-Point Drop of Business Confidence, Australian Business Owners Foresee Higher Revenue in Next 6 Months
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 29, 2014 4:53 PM EST
Businesses are still struggling to gain access to financing (Photo: Reuters)
But despite the dip, confidence is generally high for the first quarter of 2014 at 14.3 points. It is the second-highest reading since CBA started making the survey in September 2011.
The survey found that 35 per cent of Aussie businesses expect conditions to improve in the next six months, down from 47 per cent in the 4th quarter of 2013.
Over half expect revenue to increase and 46 per cent anticipate an improvement in profit.
The decline notwithstanding, CBA chief economist Michael Blythe said, "With risk appetite, business capex and labour hiring expected to increase, this bodes well for the broader economy. Stabilisation of the jobs market is needed to support consumer confidence and the growth transition to non-mining activity will be driven by greater investment in the mid-market."
Adam Bennett, executive general manager for Local Business Banking of CBA, said survey results indicate a sense of optimism among small business owners. He pointed out that "Overall economic conditions look largely positive, with strong employment growth, low interest rates and a healthy housing market supporting improving business confidence and spending patterns."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS