Despite 2.7-Point Drop of Business Confidence, Australian Business Owners Foresee Higher Revenue in Next 6 Months
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 29, 2014 4:53 PM EST
Businesses are still struggling to gain access to financing (Photo: Reuters)
But despite the dip, confidence is generally high for the first quarter of 2014 at 14.3 points. It is the second-highest reading since CBA started making the survey in September 2011.
The survey found that 35 per cent of Aussie businesses expect conditions to improve in the next six months, down from 47 per cent in the 4th quarter of 2013.
Over half expect revenue to increase and 46 per cent anticipate an improvement in profit.
The decline notwithstanding, CBA chief economist Michael Blythe said, "With risk appetite, business capex and labour hiring expected to increase, this bodes well for the broader economy. Stabilisation of the jobs market is needed to support consumer confidence and the growth transition to non-mining activity will be driven by greater investment in the mid-market."
Adam Bennett, executive general manager for Local Business Banking of CBA, said survey results indicate a sense of optimism among small business owners. He pointed out that "Overall economic conditions look largely positive, with strong employment growth, low interest rates and a healthy housing market supporting improving business confidence and spending patterns."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments