Queensland Govt at Odds With 'Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream' Over Great Barrier Reef Campaign
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 29, 2014 4:12 PM EST
The Queensland Government led by Environment Minister Andrew Powell has called for a boycott of all Ben and Jerry's ice cream products after the latter expressed support to the World Wildlife Fun for Nature (WWF's) campaign to save the Great Barrier Reef.
Ben and Jerry's, seeking to draw attention to the potential damage to the reef, withdrew popular flavor Phish Food in early April because it was alluded to fish food.
"Ben and Jerry's believes that dredging and dumping in world heritage waters surrounding the marine park area will be detrimental to the reef ecology," the AAP quoted Australia brand manager Kalli Swaik. "It threatens the health of one of Australia's most iconic treasures."
In January, both the Queensland and federal governments approved the proposal of dumping three million cubic meters of dredge spoil in the marine park, also a World Heritage site, to push forward the expansion of the Abbot Point coal port.
The ice cream company said no matter how much of the spoil is expected to settle on the seabed, which the Queensland Government said is at 70 percent, intensive dredging and dumping, megaports and shipping highways all regardless, seriously risks the reef.
Animal conservation charity WWF is worried the spoil may get tied up in currents, effectively poisoning the reefs 40 kilometers away.
The Australian government is set to meet with UNESCO authorities to discuss and check the country's progress in improving the management and health of the Great Barrier Reef. By then, UNESCO will decide if the reef should be listed as a world heritage site in danger.
"Ben & Jerry's' tour is a timely reminder that the world expects the Queensland and Australian Governments to lift their game," CEO Dermot O'Gorman said.
Powell said the biggest threats to the eef are extreme weather events and from the crown of thorn star fish.
"Fortunately Queenslanders are smarter than that, Australians are smarter and UNESCO is certainly smarter and will not pander to the scare campaigns that are currently being run," he added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]