Queensland Govt at Odds With 'Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream' Over Great Barrier Reef Campaign
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 29, 2014 4:12 PM EST
The Queensland Government led by Environment Minister Andrew Powell has called for a boycott of all Ben and Jerry's ice cream products after the latter expressed support to the World Wildlife Fun for Nature (WWF's) campaign to save the Great Barrier Reef.
Ben and Jerry's, seeking to draw attention to the potential damage to the reef, withdrew popular flavor Phish Food in early April because it was alluded to fish food.
"Ben and Jerry's believes that dredging and dumping in world heritage waters surrounding the marine park area will be detrimental to the reef ecology," the AAP quoted Australia brand manager Kalli Swaik. "It threatens the health of one of Australia's most iconic treasures."
In January, both the Queensland and federal governments approved the proposal of dumping three million cubic meters of dredge spoil in the marine park, also a World Heritage site, to push forward the expansion of the Abbot Point coal port.
The ice cream company said no matter how much of the spoil is expected to settle on the seabed, which the Queensland Government said is at 70 percent, intensive dredging and dumping, megaports and shipping highways all regardless, seriously risks the reef.
Animal conservation charity WWF is worried the spoil may get tied up in currents, effectively poisoning the reefs 40 kilometers away.
The Australian government is set to meet with UNESCO authorities to discuss and check the country's progress in improving the management and health of the Great Barrier Reef. By then, UNESCO will decide if the reef should be listed as a world heritage site in danger.
"Ben & Jerry's' tour is a timely reminder that the world expects the Queensland and Australian Governments to lift their game," CEO Dermot O'Gorman said.
Powell said the biggest threats to the eef are extreme weather events and from the crown of thorn star fish.
"Fortunately Queenslanders are smarter than that, Australians are smarter and UNESCO is certainly smarter and will not pander to the scare campaigns that are currently being run," he added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Alien Base Found on Moon: UFO Enthusiasts Celebrate [Watch Video]
- Regular Sexual Intercourse Can Ward Off Erection Problems, Say Researchers
- Alien Mystery Solved: NASA Reveals the Truth About the Strange Figure Recorded on the Moon (Watch Video)
- Real Life Mermaid Swims in Paris: Viewers Amazed (Watch Video)
- Climate Change Has Given Birth to New Hybrid Species: Transformation Before Man's Eyes
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015