Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date in Mid-2014 with New Form Factor and Three Sided Display
By Precious Silva | April 29, 2014 3:45 PM EST
Samsung tested the market with its Samsung Galaxy Round device checking if rounded displays make a difference. While the device cannot be considered as success similar to the Samsung Galaxy S4 series, it did create an interest over what next generation smartphones and tablets may look like. According to recent information, the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 4 may feature a new form factor including a three sided display. What can people expect?
A Samsung Galaxy Note II phone-cum-tablet is displayed during the first day of the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas January 8, 2013.
According to recent reports, the upcoming Galaxy Note phablet will feature a Youm flexible OLED display technology. According to a report by ZDNet Korea, industry insiders hint that Samsung Galaxy Note 4 will be the first device to sport a three-sided Youm display.
The report also noted that the three-sided display can be used to display mail, calls and messages notifications. Users do not have to unlock the device to view updates from their phones. To further support the use of the three-sided display, the report highlighted Samsung's introduction of the Youm flexible OLED display technology during the CES 2013.
Samsung unveiled a curved prototype device with wrap-around screen. This extended the display to the sides or edges of the unit. Likewise, Senior Vice President of Samsung's product strategy team, Yoon Han-Kil, told Reuters that the company wants to release a Galaxy Note sporting a new form factor. The release should be around the second half of this year. According to Han-kil:
"Our ultimate goal is to make products that consumers really aspire to have. This is how we are trying to find a breakthrough in the stagnant premium market".
During the second analyst meeting of the company in November 2013, the South Korean tech giant hinted at working on newer technologies focusing on the use of folding displays. The company also wants to venture to foldable phones in 2015.
Previously, the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 came with a full-HD 5.7-inch display. Samsung has yet to make an official announcement about the Galaxy Note 4.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report