Swimmer Geoff Huegill Suspended from Austswim After Charged With Cocaine Possession at Royal Randwick
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 29, 2014 3:03 PM EST
The saga of former Olympics star Geoff Huegill and his wife Sara continues after they were detained by NSW Police for cocaine possession at Royal Randwick on Saturday.
Huegill has lost his position as an ambassador for AustSwim after the police confirmed the charges.
Huegill was associated with AustSwim for the last 10 years. Gordon Mallet, CEO of AustSwim, described the situation as a regrettable event.
"At the moment we've suspended his activities for us, pending the outcome of further legal outcomes ... The alleged incident is out of character but Austswim has zero tolerance and we've suspended the relationship to let natural justice take its course," Mallet said.
The CEO further confirmed their interaction with Huegill after the incident was placed in the public spotlight.
Huegill and Sara were guests of the Australian Turf Club's $400,000 race, sponsored by Moet & Chandon.
The Huegills were both at the private box when security personnel informed police of some strange behavior of the couple. They both entered the bathroom at the same time and returned to the Moet & Chandon private box, when the police intervened. A group of police made a search with a sniffer dog. At around 5:45 pm, they finally got a small bag of cocaine.
Huegill's lawyer Paul Hunt stated the couple was not in a good state and declined to comment about the charges. They are due to appear in the court in May.
As per MailOnline, a close friend of Geoff Huegill was shocked to hear the news.
"You're kidding me aren't you ... I didn't have a clue, I'm sorry to hear that. He called me this morning, I had a missed call from him, I'd rather not comment further," he said.
"Police were patrolling Randwick Racecourse as part of their normal duties ... They were directed to a suite in the grandstand by security guards where a 35-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman were allegedly found with a small quantity of white powder, believed to be cocaine ... They were issued with a field court attendance notice for the offence of possessing an illegal drug," a NSW police spokesman told MailOnline.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery