Swimmer Geoff Huegill Suspended from Austswim After Charged With Cocaine Possession at Royal Randwick
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 29, 2014 3:03 PM EST
The saga of former Olympics star Geoff Huegill and his wife Sara continues after they were detained by NSW Police for cocaine possession at Royal Randwick on Saturday.
Huegill has lost his position as an ambassador for AustSwim after the police confirmed the charges.
Huegill was associated with AustSwim for the last 10 years. Gordon Mallet, CEO of AustSwim, described the situation as a regrettable event.
"At the moment we've suspended his activities for us, pending the outcome of further legal outcomes ... The alleged incident is out of character but Austswim has zero tolerance and we've suspended the relationship to let natural justice take its course," Mallet said.
The CEO further confirmed their interaction with Huegill after the incident was placed in the public spotlight.
Huegill and Sara were guests of the Australian Turf Club's $400,000 race, sponsored by Moet & Chandon.
The Huegills were both at the private box when security personnel informed police of some strange behavior of the couple. They both entered the bathroom at the same time and returned to the Moet & Chandon private box, when the police intervened. A group of police made a search with a sniffer dog. At around 5:45 pm, they finally got a small bag of cocaine.
Huegill's lawyer Paul Hunt stated the couple was not in a good state and declined to comment about the charges. They are due to appear in the court in May.
As per MailOnline, a close friend of Geoff Huegill was shocked to hear the news.
"You're kidding me aren't you ... I didn't have a clue, I'm sorry to hear that. He called me this morning, I had a missed call from him, I'd rather not comment further," he said.
"Police were patrolling Randwick Racecourse as part of their normal duties ... They were directed to a suite in the grandstand by security guards where a 35-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman were allegedly found with a small quantity of white powder, believed to be cocaine ... They were issued with a field court attendance notice for the offence of possessing an illegal drug," a NSW police spokesman told MailOnline.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase