Going to the Middle East? 5 Facts About the New MERS Virus You Need to Know
By Sachin Trivedi | April 29, 2014 2:47 PM EST
The Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus or MERS virus is a deadly virus which has reportedly caused the deaths of many. Recently there has been a spike in the reported cases in Saudi Arabia and Egypt has reported its first case, raising concerns about the spreading of the virus to other countries.
Saudi Health Minister Abdullah al-Rabia gestures during a news conference in Riyadh, April 20, 2014. Saudi Arabia confirmed 20 new cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) on Saturday and Sunday, adding up to 49 infections in six days, a sudden increase of a disease that kills about a third of the people infected and has no cure. However, al-Rabia on Sunday told reporters there was no scientific evidence yet to justify ordering additional preventative measures such as travel restrictions. REUTERS/Faisal Al Nasser
There is no travel advisory for people who wish to travel to the Middle East but travelers have been cautioned to practice normal hygiene measures like washing hands often or using hand sanitizers. Here is a look at 5 facts about the virus readers should know.
Fact #1: There is no vaccine or specific cure for the virus
The MERS virus was first reported in 2012 in Saudi Arabia and a vaccine for the virus has still not been developed. There is also no specific cure for the virus but timely general medication may be able to save the life of the patient.
Fact #2: Symptoms of the MERS virus
The symptoms of the MERS virus include mild to acute respiratory illness, fever, cough and shortness of breath. The Department of Health - Australia, advices people who fall sick in the Middle East to immediately seek medical attention and not wait till they get back to Australia.
Fact #3: Countries Affected
The countries in the Middle East where instances of the MERS virus were reported include Jordan, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and United Arab Emirates. The European countries where cases of the virus have been reported include Italy, United Kingdom, France, Tunisia and Germany.
So far no case of the MERS has been reported in Australia and the U.S. Both countries are taking preventive measures which include following up on suspected cases and offering testing kits to accurately diagnose the virus.
Fact #4: How it spreads
The MERS virus may spread by coming in close contact with people who have the virus. It is still unclear if the source of the virus is a particular animal and if animals can be spreading the virus.
Fact #5: What preventive steps can be taken
The preventive steps that can be taken include washing hands with soap often, cover the nose and mouth with tissue while coughing and sneezing and throw the tissue in the nearest trash can, avoid close contact with sick people, avoid sharing cups and utensils with sick people.
More Articles to Read
'Game of Thrones' Season 4 Episode 4 Recap and Spoliers: Merciless Daenerys and Changed Jaime [Read]
'X-Men: Days of Future Past' New Trailer Released-Fans Ask Why Charles is Walking [Read]
Barry O'Farrell Resigns Over a Bottle of Wine and Bad Memory [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions