Annular Solar Eclipse 2014: Timings and Live Streaming Information of 'Ring of Fire'
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 29, 2014 2:22 PM EST
The first solar eclipse of 2014, where the moon passes between Earth and the sun, will occur on Tuesday (29 April). (Watch solar eclipse live in the video given below)
Annular Solar Eclipse to occur on 29 April, 2014 (representational image)
When the sun and the moon align perfectly, total solar eclipse occurs. But on Tuesday, skywatchers will witness an annular solar eclipse, which is also known as the "ring of fire." The annular solar eclipse occurs when the moon is far away from the Earth and it appears smaller in the sky. The moon will not be able to cover the sun completely and its outer edges will be still visible.
When the annular solar eclipse is viewed from the Earth's surface, skygazers can witness a "ring of fire" around the moon.
This rare event will be visible from one uninhabited spot in Antarctica, where only the penguins might be able to see it, reported Space.com. Hence, the event is also nicknamed as "Penguin" annular solar eclipse. However, partial views of the rare event can be seen across Australia.
The solar eclipse will begin at 1:15 p.m. local time in Perth, Australia (29 April) and end at 3:59 p.m. local time. The best time to view the rare event is at 2:41 p.m., when the moon will cover 65 percent of the sun's disk. Viewers from Melbourne can start seeing the annular solar eclipse at 3:58 p.m. local time and Sydney viewers can see it from 4.13 p.m, according to Space.com website.
Where to Watch Live Online
Tuesday's annular solar eclipse can be viewed online here courtesy of the Slooh community telescope.
The live streaming event will be accompanied by discussions by Slooh host Geoff Fox and Observatory Director Paul Cox. The show will also feature guest expert Dr. Lucie Green, a BBC contributor and solar researcher at the Mullard Space Science Laboratory, UCL's Department of Space and Climate Physics. Using hashtag #Slooh, viewers can also ask questions to the experts during the show.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand