Manchester United Transfer News: Schalke Defender Claims 'Official' Offer from Red Devils
By Deepak Vikraman | April 29, 2014 2:22 PM EST
Manchester United have reportedly identified a potential successor to Patrice Evra, and it is not Southampton left-back Luke Shaw.
Schalke defender Sead Kolasinac has claimed to have received an "official" offer from United, with the left-back admitting he is considering his options.
"It is true me and my club both got an official offer from Manchester United," Kolasinac told Bosnian newspaper Dnevni Avaz. "But at this moment I wouldn't like to talk much about this.
"My manager knows all about this offer from England and together we will think and then make a decision. I will take my time, I will not hurry.
"I have to think seriously about an offer like that and of course the Schalke board have to think about it."
Kolasinac has been quite impressive for the German club this season, and at 20 can only get better.
United were thought to be on the verge of sealing a deal for England international Shaw, with a £30 million deal reportedly in place for the left-back who won a place in the PFA English Premier League Team of the Year.
Shaw, who is still only 18, is seen as the next long-term England left-back and United will do well to seal his signing. Kolasinac also provides a good alternative, with it looking increasingly likely that Evra might move on, or only stay another year.
When asked about United's interest in him, Shaw admitted to being flattered by the links, but also revealed he would be more than happy to stay with the Saints.
"It's a good thing to be linked with them, but I don't concentrate on that, I've got football to focus on," Shaw said.
"Yeah of course [I'd be happy to remain with Southampton], I've said it a number of times, it's a great club and I'm still young and have a lot to learn."
Louis Van Gaal is thought to be close to becoming the new manager at United, and it will be interesting to see just how the Dutchman uses the reported £100 million he will have at his disposal in the summer transfer window.
Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward will have to do the bulk of the job, if Van Gaal is indeed named the new manager, with the former Ajax and Bayern Munich boss, set to be busy with the Netherlands national team at the World Cup until mid July.
The likes of Edinson Cavani and Cesc Fabregas have again been linked with summer moves, and United, no doubt, after last summer's fiasco, will want to seal their priority signings as soon as possible.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales