Top 3 Mavericks OX S Tips and Tricks: Extend Battery Life and Increase Mac Performance
By Precious Silva | April 29, 2014 1:24 PM EST
Those who have upgraded their systems to OS Mavericks can try a few tips and tricks to improve computer performance and battery life. The OS X Mavericks was a free upgrade. Looking at the shift from Lion to Mavericks including the change between iOS 6 to iOS 7, the Mac edition may not seem to offer much in design but it does have a good of features.
Apple releases OS X Mavericks as a free update for Mac users. (Reuters)
Nonetheless, despite the good lineup of features, battery life has been a major concern for many users. Here are some important tips for maximizing battery life and improving performance of the MacBook under the OS X Mavericks:
- Check the status of the applications and their battery use. If the program is not currently used then it is best to stop it. Use the latest Activity Monitor under Mavericks to track the applications eating up the battery. To do this, go to the monitor, enable the "Energy Impact" option. Right click on the Header under Activity Monitor. This should give a list of programs that can be closed to conserve more power.
- Notification Center can use a signification percentage of the battery as well. Try to switch to the "Do Not Disturb" feature to save more energy. Users can also decide to get rid of the feature once and for all. Remove the notification center for good via the Terminal. Input this command in the Terminal: sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui KeepAlive -bool false. Input this after: killall NotificationCenter . Log out of the system then log in to begin working without the Notification center.
- Use App Nap - this refers to a feature that can slow down programs running on the background. The feature can ensure that idle apps do not spend much of the battery life. However, one drawback is that apps open slower. Users can disable the feature once they need to multitask.
Users can also use the More Activity Monitor in the Dock Icon. The dynamic icons can make a difference in the battery life and performance of the laptop. These are just some of the ways users can avoid battery drain and slower performance in their Macs. Apple will reportedly release a refreshed line of MacBook devices this third quarter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots