Justice League Movie Confirmed: A Likely Challenge to Avengers?
By Gel Galang | April 29, 2014 12:44 PM EST
With Guardians of the Galaxy still planned for a July 2014 release date, which is part of the Marvel Phase Two for its grand project leading to The Avengers, it was only a matter of time until DC Comics starts to act for its own headquarters and superheroes.
With the Man of Steel sequel already putting Batman and alongside Superman, it's almost expected that the entire Justice League team will be coming to the silverscreen.
But perhaps what can be a surprising turn of events is the fact that it will be coming so soon, following the sequel in fact.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Zack Snyder is already signed on the project extending to the Justice League movie, which will start filming as soon as the Man of Steel sequel is done.
What's interesting here is that they are not taking the similar route as Marvel's approach, which has laid out a plan to carefully ease viewers, both comic fans and regular audiences alike, into the Marvel world, with individual movies for each superhero before the first culmination of The Avengers.
"It isn't about a single approach to everything," said Diane Nelson, president of DC Entertainment, to The Wall Street Journal. "It's the right character matched with the right talent in the right medium."
Possible release dates and cast speculated
Given that the Man of Steel sequel does not even have a final title as of yet, it's impossible to expect the Justice League movie to come sooner than 2015. Forbes reports that the likely release of the movie will be somewhere in 2018, though another report points to a possible summer 2017.
IGN supports this potential date, as it reports sources saying that the Justice League movie can come in a close 2017, following the release date of May 6, 2016 for the Man of Steel sequel.
So far, the only confirmed people working on the Justice League movie is Geoff Johns, DC chief content officer, who will be a consultant in the creation of the scripts, as well as Snyder taking the seat of director.
As far as casting goes, the report suggests Dwayne Johnson to be part of the cast, as he can play a myriad of roles, form Martian Manhunter, Black Adam, to even Darkseid.
However, one possible contention would be that the Justice League movie may have to bank on its more known characters, instead of delving into the lesser known characters. Those can come in a little later, perhaps in the next movie following the first Justice League film.
Justice League in a nutshell-problems?
Perhaps one of the potential pitfalls that a sudden movie such as this will encounter, and one that is pointed by MTV.com, is the possibility of the audience not being able to catch on to all of the characters.
Though it's true that, before all of this, Marvel had lesser known characters than DC-the Hawkgirl vs. Hawkeye debate is supported by the many animated appearances of the latter. But after the carefully planned individual movies, Marvel was able to introduce the specific characters of The Avengers.
Since Warner Bros. and DC may not have that kind of time considering its plan to release after the Man of Steel sequel, one good thing to remember is to have a focal point. There are a number of graphic novels that already depict good storylines featuring the Justice League.
It's important to find that one storyline that will marry everything, so that it will avoid feeling like we're reading from different graphic novels at the same time.
In any case, DC diehards will surely be jumping at the news. Now the questions is whether or not the success will be like Nolan's Batman trilogy or if it will follow the onslaught of sadly developed DC movies-yes, Green Lantern and the previous Superman movies, are among those.
Read more news here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date