Former Hull KR and NRL Player Ryan Tandy found Dead in Saratoga
By Tanya Diente | April 29, 2014 12:14 PM EST
Former NRL (National Rugby League) player, Hull KR and Ireland forward Ryan Tandy was found dead at his parent's home. The athlete reportedly died of drug overdose. Police were called in to the family's Saratoga home on the New South Wales Central Coast about 2:00pm on Monday following reports a man has died. It is understood that Tandy's mother discovered the body and called the police.
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick stands on the field before their NFL pre-season football game against the Denver Broncos in San Francisco, California in this August 8, 2013 file photo. Miami police said on April 10, 2014 that they are investigating San Francisco 49ers quarterback after a woman filed a police report claiming that she had drinks with him and two other football players and awoke in a hospital with no memory of the night.
The 32-yeard old Ryan Tandy played 36 NRL matches for five clubs from 2003. He also played for the Robins during the 2007 Super League season. Although originally from the Central Coast, the Australian born played for St. George Illawara, South Sydney, West Tigers, Melbourne and Canterbury in the NRL, and Hull KR in England. Tandy also played for the Robins during the 2007 Super League season and represented Ireland at the 2008 World Cup.
"Ryan was a larger than life character and we would like to express our thanks for the commitment during the World Cup," a statement on Ruby League Ireland's official website said.
In 2010, Ryan Tandy's career ended when he was convicted of match fixing while playing for Canterbury against North Queensland.
Friends and colleagues are shaken and saddened by Ryan Tandy's death. Bryan Fletcher, Tandy's former teammate who played alongside him at Souths in 2003, said he saw Tandy about a month ago and Tandy seemed to be in good spirits. Fletcher told Fox Sports News that Tandy was talking about getting into a new business venture. Tandy was also training and he lost a lot of weight. Fletcher said it's just awful he died and he found the news of Ryan Tandy's death shocking and disturbing.
Steve Turner, former Storm and Bulldogs teammate, also expressed his shock over the news.
"I am just numb. Just numb. He was just such a likeable character, the life of the party. A bit of a joker and just someone we all liked to have around,"Turner said.
Friends and followers of Ryan Teddy took to Twitter to express their condolences over his death.
Saddened to hear of Ryan Tandy’s death. Our thoughts and condolences are with his family.
— NRL (@NRL) April 28, 2014
In complete shock!!! Won a premiership with Ryan in 2009, a bloke who gave his all on the footy field. RIP — Steve Turner (@SteveTurner84) April 28, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase