Former Hull KR and NRL Player Ryan Tandy found Dead in Saratoga
By Tanya Diente | April 29, 2014 12:14 PM EST
Former NRL (National Rugby League) player, Hull KR and Ireland forward Ryan Tandy was found dead at his parent's home. The athlete reportedly died of drug overdose. Police were called in to the family's Saratoga home on the New South Wales Central Coast about 2:00pm on Monday following reports a man has died. It is understood that Tandy's mother discovered the body and called the police.
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick stands on the field before their NFL pre-season football game against the Denver Broncos in San Francisco, California in this August 8, 2013 file photo. Miami police said on April 10, 2014 that they are investigating San Francisco 49ers quarterback after a woman filed a police report claiming that she had drinks with him and two other football players and awoke in a hospital with no memory of the night.
The 32-yeard old Ryan Tandy played 36 NRL matches for five clubs from 2003. He also played for the Robins during the 2007 Super League season. Although originally from the Central Coast, the Australian born played for St. George Illawara, South Sydney, West Tigers, Melbourne and Canterbury in the NRL, and Hull KR in England. Tandy also played for the Robins during the 2007 Super League season and represented Ireland at the 2008 World Cup.
"Ryan was a larger than life character and we would like to express our thanks for the commitment during the World Cup," a statement on Ruby League Ireland's official website said.
In 2010, Ryan Tandy's career ended when he was convicted of match fixing while playing for Canterbury against North Queensland.
Friends and colleagues are shaken and saddened by Ryan Tandy's death. Bryan Fletcher, Tandy's former teammate who played alongside him at Souths in 2003, said he saw Tandy about a month ago and Tandy seemed to be in good spirits. Fletcher told Fox Sports News that Tandy was talking about getting into a new business venture. Tandy was also training and he lost a lot of weight. Fletcher said it's just awful he died and he found the news of Ryan Tandy's death shocking and disturbing.
Steve Turner, former Storm and Bulldogs teammate, also expressed his shock over the news.
"I am just numb. Just numb. He was just such a likeable character, the life of the party. A bit of a joker and just someone we all liked to have around,"Turner said.
Friends and followers of Ryan Teddy took to Twitter to express their condolences over his death.
Saddened to hear of Ryan Tandy’s death. Our thoughts and condolences are with his family.
— NRL (@NRL) April 28, 2014
In complete shock!!! Won a premiership with Ryan in 2009, a bloke who gave his all on the footy field. RIP — Steve Turner (@SteveTurner84) April 28, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS