Former Hull KR and NRL Player Ryan Tandy found Dead in Saratoga
By Tanya Diente | April 29, 2014 12:14 PM EST
Former NRL (National Rugby League) player, Hull KR and Ireland forward Ryan Tandy was found dead at his parent's home. The athlete reportedly died of drug overdose. Police were called in to the family's Saratoga home on the New South Wales Central Coast about 2:00pm on Monday following reports a man has died. It is understood that Tandy's mother discovered the body and called the police.
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick stands on the field before their NFL pre-season football game against the Denver Broncos in San Francisco, California in this August 8, 2013 file photo. Miami police said on April 10, 2014 that they are investigating San Francisco 49ers quarterback after a woman filed a police report claiming that she had drinks with him and two other football players and awoke in a hospital with no memory of the night.
The 32-yeard old Ryan Tandy played 36 NRL matches for five clubs from 2003. He also played for the Robins during the 2007 Super League season. Although originally from the Central Coast, the Australian born played for St. George Illawara, South Sydney, West Tigers, Melbourne and Canterbury in the NRL, and Hull KR in England. Tandy also played for the Robins during the 2007 Super League season and represented Ireland at the 2008 World Cup.
"Ryan was a larger than life character and we would like to express our thanks for the commitment during the World Cup," a statement on Ruby League Ireland's official website said.
In 2010, Ryan Tandy's career ended when he was convicted of match fixing while playing for Canterbury against North Queensland.
Friends and colleagues are shaken and saddened by Ryan Tandy's death. Bryan Fletcher, Tandy's former teammate who played alongside him at Souths in 2003, said he saw Tandy about a month ago and Tandy seemed to be in good spirits. Fletcher told Fox Sports News that Tandy was talking about getting into a new business venture. Tandy was also training and he lost a lot of weight. Fletcher said it's just awful he died and he found the news of Ryan Tandy's death shocking and disturbing.
Steve Turner, former Storm and Bulldogs teammate, also expressed his shock over the news.
"I am just numb. Just numb. He was just such a likeable character, the life of the party. A bit of a joker and just someone we all liked to have around,"Turner said.
Friends and followers of Ryan Teddy took to Twitter to express their condolences over his death.
Saddened to hear of Ryan Tandy’s death. Our thoughts and condolences are with his family.
— NRL (@NRL) April 28, 2014
In complete shock!!! Won a premiership with Ryan in 2009, a bloke who gave his all on the footy field. RIP — Steve Turner (@SteveTurner84) April 28, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports