Shailene Woodley Got Cut; Loses Her Role as Mary Jane in ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2’ – Find Out Why!
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 29, 2014 12:11 PM EST
Goodbye Shailene Woodley? Why was the actress cut from her role as Mary Jane Watson in the star-studded superhero film "The Amazing Spider-Man 2?"
Actress Shailene Woodley smiles as she arrives for the European premiere of "Divergent" at Leicester Square in London March 30, 2014.
Moviegoers who have watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 must have noticed that there was no red-haired "Divergent" star chatting with Peter Parker slash Spider-Man, played by Andrew Garfield, in the streets of Brooklyn, New York.
Apparently, the 22-year-old "Divergent" star is too much for the role of Mary Jane Watson (MJ), who according to Marvel.com was the "guiding light" in Peter Parker's life. Some who haven't followed the story in comics or haven't been too thrilled to watch the previous Spider-Man movies must take note that MJ has been romantically involved with Parker but a particular scene has made them decide to part ways and never marry.
But now MJ returns in the new Spider-Man franchise, giving Gwen Stacy, current leading lady of Spidey who is played by Emma Stone, a rivalry. The cast of the superhero movie also includes stars Jamie Foxx (Electro/Max Dillon), Dane DeHaan (Green Goblin/Harry Osborn), Felicity Jones (Felicia), Sally Field (Aunt May) and other talented stars. To meet more of the movie's characters, you may want to visit the movie's IMDb page.
According to a New York Daily News report, the Amazing Spider-Man director Marc Webb has decided that Woodley "would be too much of an attractive distraction" in rivaling with Emma Stone for Spider-Man's love.
The end result was that Woodley's performance was entirely edited out. Sorry, but there's no more Shailene Woodley in the new Amazing Spider-Man.
"We kind of understand and realized, well, if you look at 'Romeo and Juliet,' there's a reason that Shakespeare didn't introduce another female character after he falls in love with Juliet," Andrew Garfield, who is playing Spider-Man a.k.a. Peter Parker, said.
However, even though the decision to cut Shailene Woodley out of Spider-Man's life has been final, Andrew Garfield added that he's still hoping the Divergent star will return for "Amazing Spider-Man 3."
So is there a Mary Jane Watson in the superhero movie, still? If there is, who's playing MJ now? Watch out as The Amazing Spider-Man 2 hits theatres near you!
More News for Shailene Woodley:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga