Shailene Woodley Got Cut; Loses Her Role as Mary Jane in ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2’ – Find Out Why!
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 29, 2014 12:11 PM EST
Goodbye Shailene Woodley? Why was the actress cut from her role as Mary Jane Watson in the star-studded superhero film "The Amazing Spider-Man 2?"
Actress Shailene Woodley smiles as she arrives for the European premiere of "Divergent" at Leicester Square in London March 30, 2014.
Moviegoers who have watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 must have noticed that there was no red-haired "Divergent" star chatting with Peter Parker slash Spider-Man, played by Andrew Garfield, in the streets of Brooklyn, New York.
Apparently, the 22-year-old "Divergent" star is too much for the role of Mary Jane Watson (MJ), who according to Marvel.com was the "guiding light" in Peter Parker's life. Some who haven't followed the story in comics or haven't been too thrilled to watch the previous Spider-Man movies must take note that MJ has been romantically involved with Parker but a particular scene has made them decide to part ways and never marry.
But now MJ returns in the new Spider-Man franchise, giving Gwen Stacy, current leading lady of Spidey who is played by Emma Stone, a rivalry. The cast of the superhero movie also includes stars Jamie Foxx (Electro/Max Dillon), Dane DeHaan (Green Goblin/Harry Osborn), Felicity Jones (Felicia), Sally Field (Aunt May) and other talented stars. To meet more of the movie's characters, you may want to visit the movie's IMDb page.
According to a New York Daily News report, the Amazing Spider-Man director Marc Webb has decided that Woodley "would be too much of an attractive distraction" in rivaling with Emma Stone for Spider-Man's love.
The end result was that Woodley's performance was entirely edited out. Sorry, but there's no more Shailene Woodley in the new Amazing Spider-Man.
"We kind of understand and realized, well, if you look at 'Romeo and Juliet,' there's a reason that Shakespeare didn't introduce another female character after he falls in love with Juliet," Andrew Garfield, who is playing Spider-Man a.k.a. Peter Parker, said.
However, even though the decision to cut Shailene Woodley out of Spider-Man's life has been final, Andrew Garfield added that he's still hoping the Divergent star will return for "Amazing Spider-Man 3."
So is there a Mary Jane Watson in the superhero movie, still? If there is, who's playing MJ now? Watch out as The Amazing Spider-Man 2 hits theatres near you!
More News for Shailene Woodley:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims