Shailene Woodley Got Cut; Loses Her Role as Mary Jane in ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2’ – Find Out Why!
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 29, 2014 12:11 PM EST
Goodbye Shailene Woodley? Why was the actress cut from her role as Mary Jane Watson in the star-studded superhero film "The Amazing Spider-Man 2?"
Actress Shailene Woodley smiles as she arrives for the European premiere of "Divergent" at Leicester Square in London March 30, 2014.
Moviegoers who have watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 must have noticed that there was no red-haired "Divergent" star chatting with Peter Parker slash Spider-Man, played by Andrew Garfield, in the streets of Brooklyn, New York.
Apparently, the 22-year-old "Divergent" star is too much for the role of Mary Jane Watson (MJ), who according to Marvel.com was the "guiding light" in Peter Parker's life. Some who haven't followed the story in comics or haven't been too thrilled to watch the previous Spider-Man movies must take note that MJ has been romantically involved with Parker but a particular scene has made them decide to part ways and never marry.
But now MJ returns in the new Spider-Man franchise, giving Gwen Stacy, current leading lady of Spidey who is played by Emma Stone, a rivalry. The cast of the superhero movie also includes stars Jamie Foxx (Electro/Max Dillon), Dane DeHaan (Green Goblin/Harry Osborn), Felicity Jones (Felicia), Sally Field (Aunt May) and other talented stars. To meet more of the movie's characters, you may want to visit the movie's IMDb page.
According to a New York Daily News report, the Amazing Spider-Man director Marc Webb has decided that Woodley "would be too much of an attractive distraction" in rivaling with Emma Stone for Spider-Man's love.
The end result was that Woodley's performance was entirely edited out. Sorry, but there's no more Shailene Woodley in the new Amazing Spider-Man.
"We kind of understand and realized, well, if you look at 'Romeo and Juliet,' there's a reason that Shakespeare didn't introduce another female character after he falls in love with Juliet," Andrew Garfield, who is playing Spider-Man a.k.a. Peter Parker, said.
However, even though the decision to cut Shailene Woodley out of Spider-Man's life has been final, Andrew Garfield added that he's still hoping the Divergent star will return for "Amazing Spider-Man 3."
So is there a Mary Jane Watson in the superhero movie, still? If there is, who's playing MJ now? Watch out as The Amazing Spider-Man 2 hits theatres near you!
More News for Shailene Woodley:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate