Shailene Woodley Got Cut; Loses Her Role as Mary Jane in ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2’ – Find Out Why!
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 29, 2014 12:11 PM EST
Goodbye Shailene Woodley? Why was the actress cut from her role as Mary Jane Watson in the star-studded superhero film "The Amazing Spider-Man 2?"
Actress Shailene Woodley smiles as she arrives for the European premiere of "Divergent" at Leicester Square in London March 30, 2014.
Moviegoers who have watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 must have noticed that there was no red-haired "Divergent" star chatting with Peter Parker slash Spider-Man, played by Andrew Garfield, in the streets of Brooklyn, New York.
Apparently, the 22-year-old "Divergent" star is too much for the role of Mary Jane Watson (MJ), who according to Marvel.com was the "guiding light" in Peter Parker's life. Some who haven't followed the story in comics or haven't been too thrilled to watch the previous Spider-Man movies must take note that MJ has been romantically involved with Parker but a particular scene has made them decide to part ways and never marry.
But now MJ returns in the new Spider-Man franchise, giving Gwen Stacy, current leading lady of Spidey who is played by Emma Stone, a rivalry. The cast of the superhero movie also includes stars Jamie Foxx (Electro/Max Dillon), Dane DeHaan (Green Goblin/Harry Osborn), Felicity Jones (Felicia), Sally Field (Aunt May) and other talented stars. To meet more of the movie's characters, you may want to visit the movie's IMDb page.
According to a New York Daily News report, the Amazing Spider-Man director Marc Webb has decided that Woodley "would be too much of an attractive distraction" in rivaling with Emma Stone for Spider-Man's love.
The end result was that Woodley's performance was entirely edited out. Sorry, but there's no more Shailene Woodley in the new Amazing Spider-Man.
"We kind of understand and realized, well, if you look at 'Romeo and Juliet,' there's a reason that Shakespeare didn't introduce another female character after he falls in love with Juliet," Andrew Garfield, who is playing Spider-Man a.k.a. Peter Parker, said.
However, even though the decision to cut Shailene Woodley out of Spider-Man's life has been final, Andrew Garfield added that he's still hoping the Divergent star will return for "Amazing Spider-Man 3."
So is there a Mary Jane Watson in the superhero movie, still? If there is, who's playing MJ now? Watch out as The Amazing Spider-Man 2 hits theatres near you!
More News for Shailene Woodley:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Fast and Furious’ 7 New Car Revealed To Be a Humvee
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0